1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions regarding equation for circular mode frequency

1. Dec 7, 2011 #1
    I'm trying to determine the circular mode frequency for an open-ended pipe using the following equation and could use some clarification:

f = (t/(2*d^2))*SQRT(E/density)

f - frequency
    E - modulus of elasticity
    d - mean diameter
    t - wall thickness

My first question is; do I need to multiply the values inside the SQRT by gravity (386.4 in/sec2) in order to get the correct units for this equation?

Also, is the frequency noted here (f) referring to radian per second and will I need to divide it by 2*pi in order to convert it to cycles per second?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2011 #2
    It has the right units as it is. The part with the square root is the speed of sound in the material of the pipe.

4. Dec 8, 2011 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to use consistent units. SI units (kg/m^3 and Pascals) are consistent. Units that mix up "pounds mass" and "pounds force" are not.

Yes.

5. Dec 8, 2011 #4
    Thanks so much for the help on this... I really appreciate it!

I may be asking the same question twice but can you verify for me if I need to apply the same freq conversion for Hz (/2*pi) to the following equation used to determine transverse waves in a pipe with free ends?

fn=pi*vKm^2/8L^2

where:

v= √ (Y/r)
    Y= Young's modulus
    r= density
    K= 1/2 * √ (a^2 + b^2)
    a= inside radii
    b= outside radii
    L= length
    m= 3.0112, 5, 7...(2n+1)

6. Dec 9, 2011 #5
    This gives the frequency in hertz, according to Ross - Percussion instruments.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook