Divergence of (r^-2)r̂ × ẑ in cylindrical coordinates

  • Thread starter Thread starter sm1t
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Calculus
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
sm1t
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



[tex]\nabla[/tex] of (r^-2)rhat x zhat

Homework Equations



[tex]\nabla[/tex](AxB) = B([tex]\nabla[/tex]xA) - A([tex]\nabla[/tex]xB)


Using cylindrical coordinates and curl in cylindrical with the above equation, I get zero?
But I think I am wrong?
Any help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't get zero. Let's see what you did, then we can tell you where you're going wrong.
 
I am using the formula for curl in spherical, I konw I said cylindrical.
Taking the first cross product, zhat([tex]\nabla[/tex] x r^2 rhat) I use the ffact its in the rhat direction, so in the curl formula, sub r^2 for all r direction components. However they are then partially differentiated and I get zero, as the r^2 has no phi or theta components does it?
 
sm1t said:
I am using the formula for curl in spherical, I konw I said cylindrical.

You should be using cylindrical. "z" isn't a spherical coordinate.