Quick question about sponges and vacuums

• Thread starter matthewj0717
  • Start date
In summary, if a saturated sponge were to be subjected to a vacuum sealing process, the water would likely be forced out as the sponge's volume decreased. However, the extent of water evacuation would depend on the specific air evacuation point/area. The conversation also includes a request for videos demonstrating common food sealing mechanisms.
matthewj0717
A bit of an odd question, but what would happen if a saturated sponge was exposed to a process similar to vacuum sealing for shipping goods? Would the water be forced out as the volume of the sponge decreased?

Physics news on Phys.org
matthewj0717 said:
A bit of an odd question, but what would happen if a saturated sponge was exposed to a process similar to vacuum sealing for shipping goods? Would the water be forced out as the volume of the sponge decreased?
Seems like it would, although depending on the air evacuation point/area, the water evacuation may not be complete.

Can you post a couple videos of typical food sealing mechanisms?

1. How do sponges and vacuums work?

Sponges and vacuums both work by using suction to collect and remove particles or debris. Sponges use tiny pores to trap and absorb liquid or small particles, while vacuums use a motor and fan to create a suction force that pulls in larger particles and debris.

2. Can sponges and vacuums be used interchangeably?

No, sponges and vacuums have different functions and are designed for different purposes. Sponges are best used for cleaning up liquids and small particles, while vacuums are more effective for removing larger debris and dirt from floors and surfaces.

3. How often should I clean or replace my sponge or vacuum?

It is important to regularly clean and replace your sponge or vacuum to maintain its effectiveness and prevent the buildup of bacteria. Sponges should be washed or replaced after each use, while vacuums should be emptied and cleaned according to the manufacturer's instructions.

4. Are there any eco-friendly options for sponges and vacuums?

Yes, there are many eco-friendly options for sponges and vacuums. Sponges made from natural materials like cellulose or plant fibers are biodegradable and can be composted after use. Vacuums with HEPA filters and energy-efficient features are also more environmentally friendly.

5. How can I clean my sponge or vacuum without harsh chemicals?

There are many natural and chemical-free options for cleaning sponges and vacuums. Sponges can be washed with hot water and vinegar, or microwaved for a minute to kill bacteria. Vacuums can be cleaned with a mixture of baking soda and essential oils, or with steam cleaning.