Quick question about transformer circuit

In summary, the conversation is about the correctness of a solution for a problem involving equations and current calculations. The initial solution was found to be incorrect and a new solution was presented and checked. The final answer for the primary current was determined to be 0.5 A.
loki4000

Homework Statement

Can someone inform me wheher my solution is correct?
2i89cmd.jpg

Homework Equations

V1 = E2 * (10^-3)/2*(10^-3) = 0.001
V2 = E1
Ra = (R2+R3) = 0.02
Rb = R1 = 30
n = (1/100)
n^2 = (1/100)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I1 = (V'1 - V2)/(Ra'+Rb)
I1 = (0.001/n - 230)/(0.02/n^2 + 30)
I1=-0.9995652174

Physics news on Phys.org
loki4000 said:
Ra = (R2+R3) = 0.02
Why is this sum equated to 20mΩ ?

NascentOxygen said:
Why is this sum equated to 20mΩ ?
Yup, my error.
Anyway, after looking at problem again I solved it in different way. I think this way makes more sense (at least to me).
Previous solution did not count ).
So, can you tell me whether this one correct?

I2 = current over R2
a=100/1=100
I2=aI1
V2=V1/a
V2 = (-I1R1+E)/a
V2 = (-I2R2)+(E2* (R2/(R1+R2)))
(-I2R2)+(E2* (R2/(R1+R2)))=(-I1R1+E)/a

-(10^-3)I2+(0.6667)=-(3/10)I1+2.30

-0.1I1+(0.6667)=-(3/100)I1+2.30
-0.1I1+(3/10)I1=+2.30-(0.6667)
0.2I1 = 1.6333
I1 = 8.1665

loki4000, you really don't need anyone else to check your answer---because you can do the check yourself. Substitute your answer and see what the figures look like.

For example, you determined the primary current to be a little over 8A? What voltage loss would that give you across the primary's resistance, and does that sound reasonable?

I think you should first explain in words how you will go about solving this. It would help you, and it will be easier for others to follow what you are doing.

Never mind. I solved it. Thanx for reply anyway.

loki4000 said:
Never mind. I solved it. Thanx for reply anyway.
What answer did you get for the primary current?

I1=0.5 A

loki4000 said:
I1=0.5 A
That is my answer, too. :cool:

1. How does a transformer circuit work?

A transformer circuit works by using electromagnetic induction to transfer electrical energy from one circuit to another. It consists of two coils, known as the primary and secondary, that are wound around a shared iron core. When an alternating current flows through the primary coil, it creates a changing magnetic field that induces a voltage in the secondary coil, allowing for the transfer of energy.

2. What is the purpose of a transformer circuit?

The primary purpose of a transformer circuit is to step up or step down the voltage of an electrical current. This is necessary for many applications, such as power distribution, where high voltage is needed to transmit electricity over long distances, but lower voltage is required for safe use in homes and buildings.

3. How do you calculate the output voltage of a transformer circuit?

The output voltage of a transformer circuit can be calculated using the following equation: Vsecondary = (Nsecondary/Nprimary) x Vprimary, where N is the number of turns in each coil and V is the voltage. This equation assumes an ideal transformer with no losses.

4. What are the different types of transformer circuits?

There are two main types of transformer circuits: step-up and step-down. A step-up transformer increases the voltage of the input current, while a step-down transformer decreases the voltage. There are also isolation transformers, which are used to separate two circuits and prevent electrical interference, and autotransformers, which have a single coil that serves as both the primary and secondary.

5. How do you choose the right transformer circuit for a specific application?

The right transformer circuit for a specific application depends on factors such as the required voltage, the amount of power to be transferred, and the frequency of the input current. It is important to consider the transformer's voltage rating, power rating, and efficiency when choosing the appropriate circuit. Consult with an electrical engineer for help in selecting the best transformer for your needs.