Quick question, phasors and impedance

In summary, the minus sign is removed from in front of the "I" angle because it is complex conjugated. When you complex conjugate a phasor, you change the sign of the angle. The half in front is always used when peak values of V and I are used. It is not a rule to flip the minus sign, but rather a result of taking the complex conjugate of I. It is important to understand the notation used for complex conjugates and to have a good understanding of complex numbers in order to properly use the formula S=VI*.
clurt
Please see attached

On line S=0.5*V*I why is the minus sign removed from in front of the "I" angle. 25.38 specifically. Could is be a typo?

http://imgur.com/eUmEovo

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's not a typo. ##I## is complex conjugated, hence the star ##I^*##. When you complex conjugate a phasor, you change the sign of the angle.

ZetaOfThree said:
It's not a typo. ##I## is complex conjugated, hence the star ##I^*##. When you complex conjugate a phasor, you change the sign of the angle.
Do you always flip the minus sign when when using S=VI? And what about the half in front, all the time too?

Half in the front when you use peak values of V and I

clurt said:
Do you always flip the minus sign when when using S=VI?
if the formula is $$S = \frac{1}{2} \cdot V_s \cdot I^*_s $$ so you take ##I_s^*## which is the complex conjugate of ##I_s##. Since it's written in a modulus and phase format, you just have to invert the sign of the phase of ##I## to obtain it (draw both numbers in the complex plane and it's evident that the modulus stays the same but the phase changes).
I don't think you should memorize rules of flipping that sign or not, just read the formula (it's S = VI*, not S = VI). If you weren't able to see why the minus sign changed given the formula, then you either don't know the notation used here for the complex conjugate (in mathematics classes I've usually seen it written as ##\overline{I}##, but it's written the other way in engineering) or you need to study complex numbers.

1. What are phasors and how are they used in science?

Phasors are mathematical representations of a sinusoidal waveform. They are used in science to simplify the analysis of AC circuits and signals. By converting complex trigonometric functions into a single vector, phasors make it easier to perform calculations and understand the behavior of a circuit.

2. How do phasors relate to impedance?

Impedance is the measure of opposition to an AC current in a circuit. Phasors are used to represent the magnitude and phase angle of impedance, making it easier to analyze the behavior of a circuit with multiple components. This allows scientists to determine the effects of different components on the overall impedance of a circuit.

3. What is the difference between a phasor and a vector?

While both phasors and vectors represent magnitude and direction, phasors specifically represent the magnitude and phase angle of a sinusoidal waveform. Vectors can represent any type of magnitude and direction, making them more general than phasors.

4. Can phasors be used for non-sinusoidal waveforms?

Phasors are typically used for sinusoidal waveforms, as their mathematical representation is based on trigonometric functions. However, in some cases, they can be extended to represent non-sinusoidal waveforms by using Fourier analysis to break down the waveform into its sinusoidal components.

5. How are phasors used in practical applications?

Phasors are used in a wide range of practical applications, including electrical power systems, telecommunications, and signal processing. They allow scientists and engineers to analyze and design circuits and systems with AC components more efficiently and accurately.