Quiting my job. Tell the truth or lie?

• Thread starter david90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary, the engineer at my company hates their job, their company, and their colleagues, and is planning to quit. They feel that their company is disorganized and that their colleagues are below average intelligence. They suggest making improvements to the company, but feel that their boss will not listen. If they leave without telling their boss, they fear that they will be blacklisted from the industry. If they stay, they fear that their criticisms will be ignored. Ultimately, the decision to quit rests with the engineer, but telling the truth about their dissatisfaction and offering to help improve the company may help their chances of staying.
david90
I'm quiting because I dislike their engineering methods and organization. The company is so disoganized.

If you're the president of the company that I'm working for, would you appreciate me telling you the truth of why I'm quiting?

Would you tell the truth or tell a white lie?

Physics news on Phys.org
Always tell the truth, sometimes it might be difficult or uncomfortable but it will never be as bad as being caught out in a lie. Besides the truth is always easier to remember; liars get caught because their stories vary.

Self preservation!

Do what you think is the correct course of action. If your President is a powerful man in YOUR industry, do you really want to piss him off? criticising the company you work for, on the way out, is typically not the best thing to do, nor is it very professional. In this scenario there is no need to lie either, withholding information is not lying

david90 said:
If you're the president of the company that I'm working for, would you appreciate me telling you the truth of why I'm quiting?
Absolutely. They'll want to make money off your leaving.

If they're below average intelligence, they'll try to make you do an exit survey. Of course, if they are above average, they should have already had a conversation with you about your views on quality improvement, both for the obvious reason and to retain you.

If you don't have any other problems with the company, and you like working there, except for this issue, then you may not have to quit. Talk to your boss about improvements. If they will not listen, move over their head to their boss. If they won't listen, move to their boss, and so on, until no one else listens.

Then that will be the perfect opportunity for you to respectfully tell them you'd rather work for someone who will listen. :smile:

Last edited:
If you live in the US, you most likely signed a statement saying that you, or your employer, can terminate your employment at any time, for any reason. You do not have to state a reason if you so choose. That is up to you. If you do provide a reason, it is best to be precise and to the point. Most of all, be professional. Do not burn any bridges. If you present your situation in a logical and well thought out manner, you may keep your job and help institute some change. Above all, be professional.

david90 said:
I'm quiting because I dislike their engineering methods and organization. The company is so disoganized.

Would you tell the truth or tell a white lie?
I'd find a tactful, positive way to tell the truth. Most managers are always open to positive suggestions that are backed up with proof. Taking your exit as a chance to vent personal frustrations and to trash the individuals you work for or with usually closes off any chance of a person actually listening to you.

To me it depends on if you want a good refrence.

If you care enough about what they're doing that you want them to know, why not decouple the criticsim from the quitting?

Tell them what you think. Use it as an opportunity to become known (in a positive way). Maybe they'll change.

On the other hand, if you're going to quit anyway, you're abandoning the team - they're not going to be interested in the opinion of someone who's given up on them. Since they still believe in their company - and you don't - that makes your opinions suspect of lack of objectivity.

I'm quiting because I dislike their engineering methods and organization.
Along the lines of Fred, Bob and Dave, I have to wonder if you have attempted to make recommendations for improvement previously, and were ignored. I wonder why one hired on with the company in the first place. Why not give the company a chance to change/improve?

As a manager, I'd want some feedback on the operation of the company.

Some managers don't.

I left the previous company, and while I told my manager and another my reasons, I didn't tell the VP because something he did behind my back was part of the reason I was leaving. Also, the HR and higher level managers didn't even bother to find out why I was leaving. I recently found out that a higher level manager was pretty upset I left, but no one from the corporate office bothered to ask me. Fortunately I had two offers when I left the previous company - instead they talked to the VP.

I didn't burn bridges, and I may actually hire the VP, who has since retired (he was forced out), for a project. :rolleyes:

find a new job before you quit is my only advice, and quit diplomatically.

Would you consider returning if they fixed the problems that are the reason you're leaving? Do you think it's fixable? If so, tell them as tactfully as possible. Maybe they will take your advice and if it works out, give you a ring to see if you want your old job back, and if they take it the wrong way or don't do anything about it, you don't want to go back anyway. If you really have no intention of ever returning, then there's not much use in bothering. Don't lie, but don't go into great detail.

1. Should I tell the truth or lie when quitting my job?

It is always best to be honest when quitting your job. Lying can lead to potential consequences and damage your professional reputation.

2. Can I lie about the reason for leaving my job?

While it may be tempting to come up with a more favorable reason for leaving your job, it is important to be truthful. Employers may conduct background checks and discover the lie, which could result in you losing the job offer or damaging your credibility.

3. Is it necessary to give a reason for quitting my job?

It is not required to give a reason for quitting your job, but it is considered professional and courteous to do so. This allows your employer to understand your decision and potentially provide feedback for improvement in the future.

4. What if I am asked to provide a reference from my current employer?

If you are leaving your job on good terms, it is acceptable to provide your current employer as a reference. However, if you do not want your current employer to know you are leaving, you can provide references from previous jobs or colleagues.

5. Should I tell my boss the truth about why I am quitting?

It is up to your discretion on how much information you want to share with your boss about why you are quitting. However, it is important to remain professional and avoid burning bridges, as you may need a reference in the future.