Quix particle (6 under color su(3)) problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a "quix" particle, which transforms like a 6 under color SU(3). The question at hand is what kinds of bound states would be expected for the quix, both by itself and with ordinary quarks, and how these states would transform under Gell-Mann's SU(3) (flavor). The conversation presents different possibilities for bound states and their corresponding color singlets, but the SU(3) properties of these states are still unclear. The conversation concludes with a request for help in determining the correct SU(3) representations for the remaining bound states.
"Quix" particle (6 under color su(3)) problem

I am working on the following problem from Georgi's book in Lie Algebras (independent study), but I am stuck:

1. Suppose that a "quix", Q, a particle trasnforming like a 6 under color SU(3) exists. What kinds of bound states would you expect, both of the quiz by itself and the quiz with ordinary quarks? How would each set of states transform under Gell-Mann's SU(3) (flavor)?

So far I have solved the first question. Since the quix is a 6 in color su(3), it has two upper symmetric indices Qij. The bound states correspond to color singlets. From this I can build the following stable (i.e. that cannot be factored into color singlets) states:

(to avoid unnecessary labels for the quix and the quarks here the order is important: [\itex]q^{i}q^{j}\neq q^{j}q^{i}[/itex] )

[\itex]Q\bar{Q}: Q^{ij}\bar{Q}_{ij}[/itex]

[\itex]QQQ: \epsilon_{ikm}\epsilon_{jln}Q^{ij}Q^{kl}Q^{mn}[/itex]

[\itex]Qqqqq: \epsilon_{ikl}\epsilon_{jmn}Q^{ij}q^{k}q^{l}q^{m}q^{n}[/itex]

[\itex]Q\bar{q}\bar{q}: Q^{ij}\bar{q}_{i}\bar{q}_{j}[/itex]

[\itex]Qqq\bar{q}: \epsilon_{jkm}Q^{ij}q^{k}q^{m}\bar{q}_{i}[/itex]

I think I understand that the quix is a flavor singlet, and thus [\itex]Q\bar{Q}[/itex] and [\itex]QQQ[/itex] are singlets with respect to SU(3) flavor. However, it is not clear to me how to find the SU(3) properties of the other states.

For instance, I think that [\itex]Q\bar{q}\bar{q}[/itex] must be a [\itex]3[/itex] or [\itex]\overline{6}[/itex] because it contains two antiquarks. To decide which one one must check that the wave function is antisymmetric. It is not clear to me how to do this. Should I invoke SU(18) and find the antisymmetric representation that leads to a color singlet? Do I need to assign a spin to Q? Is there a different way?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A similar situation occurs for the [\itex]Qqq\bar{q}[/itex] state. It must be some combination of [\itex]6 + \overline{3} + \overline{15}[/itex] but I am not sure how to find out which one it is. Any help would be much appreciated.

Related to Quix particle (6 under color su(3)) problem

1. What is the Quix particle?

The Quix particle is a hypothetical particle proposed by physicists to explain the behavior of quarks, the fundamental building blocks of matter. It is a type of subatomic particle that is thought to exist within the framework of the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. What is the 6 under color su(3) problem?

The 6 under color su(3) problem refers to a mathematical issue in the theory of quarks and their interactions. It arises from the fact that there are six types of quarks, each with a different "color" charge, but the mathematics of the theory only allows for three types of color charges. This discrepancy is known as the "6 under color su(3) problem".

3. Why is the Quix particle important?

The Quix particle is important because it is an attempt to address the 6 under color su(3) problem and provide a more complete understanding of the behavior of quarks. If the Quix particle is found to exist, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the laws of nature and the behavior of matter at the most fundamental level.

4. How is the Quix particle being studied?

The Quix particle is currently being studied through theoretical models and experiments at particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider. Scientists are also using computer simulations and mathematical calculations to explore the potential properties of the Quix particle.

5. What are the potential implications of finding the Quix particle?

If the Quix particle is discovered, it could help resolve the 6 under color su(3) problem and provide a more complete understanding of the fundamental forces and particles of the universe. It could also have practical applications in fields such as technology and energy production. Additionally, its discovery would open up new avenues of research and potentially lead to further breakthroughs in our understanding of the universe.