(R/I)-Modules .... Dummit and Foote Example (5), Section 10.1

In summary, Dummit and Foote's book "Abstract Algebra" (Third Edition) includes a discussion of Example (5) of Section 10.1 Basic Definitions and Examples. The author needs help understanding the nature of the multiplications involved in the equation ##(r+I)m = rm##. Math_QED was able to provide a straightforward explanation of the operation in the R/I module and the nature of the multiplications.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Dummit and Foote's book: "Abstract Algebra" (Third Edition) ...

I am currently studying Chapter 10: Introduction to Module Theory ... ...

I need some help with an aspect of Example (5) of Section 10.1 Basic Definitions and Examples ... ...

Example (5) reads as follows:
D&F - 1 - EXample 5, Section 10.1 ... PART 1 ... .png

D&F - 2 - EXample 5, Section 10.1 ... PART 2 ... .png

I do not fully understand this example and hence need someone to demonstrate (explicitly and completely) why it is necessary for ##am = 0## for all ##a \in I## and all ##m \in M## for us to be able to make ##M## into an ##(R/I)##-module. ...
Help will be much appreciated ..

Peter

Attachments

• D&F - 1 - EXample 5, Section 10.1 ... PART 1 ... .png
    D&F - 1 - EXample 5, Section 10.1 ... PART 1 ... .png
    16.2 KB · Views: 648
  • D&F - 2 - EXample 5, Section 10.1 ... PART 2 ... .png
    D&F - 2 - EXample 5, Section 10.1 ... PART 2 ... .png
    11.4 KB · Views: 608
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Peter.

It is needed to make sure that the operation that turns ##M## in a ##R/I## module is well defined, i.e., one must show that what is written down, is a (well-defined) function.

This is routine work.

Indeed, suppose that ##(r_1 + I, m_1) = (r_2 +I,m_2)##, then ##m_1 = m_2## and ##r_1 + I = r_2 + I##.

The latter one implies that ##r_1 - r_2 \in I##, and by assumption ##m_1(r_1 - r_2) = 0##, so that ##m_1r_1 = m_1r_2 = m_2r_2## and hence the function is well defined.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes xaos and Math Amateur
Thanks Math_QED ...

BUT ... I need a clarification ...

Dummit and Foote write elements of the ##R/I##-module as ##m## ... what are the elements of the form ##(m_1, r_1 + I)##?

I can understand an element of the form ##(r+I)m## belongs to the left ##R/I##-module ... but how do we get an element of the form ##(m_1, r_1 + I)##?

Can you help ...

Sorry if i am being slow ...

Peter***EDIT***

Did you mean ##(m_1, r_1 + I) \equiv m_1(r_1 + I)## ... that is an element from a right ##R/I##-module ...?

Last edited:
Math Amateur said:
Thanks Math_QED ...

BUT ... I need a clarification ...

Dummit and Foote write elements of the ##R/I##-module as ##m## ... what are the elements of the form ##(m_1, r_1 + I)##?

I can understand an element of the form ##(r+I)m## belongs to the left ##R/I##-module ... but how do we get an element of the form ##(m_1, r_1 + I)##?

Can you help ...

Sorry if i am being slow ...

Peter

Sorry, I wrote the module as a right module, while the book writes it as a left module. (I edited my previous post and changed the order in the tupels) However, this doesn't change your question of course. The operation in the R/I module M is:

##R/I \times M \to M: (r+I,m) \mapsto rm##

And for convenience we write this as ##(r+I)m = rm##

But who says that what I wrote down is a function? This needs to be checked. I.e., one must check that for every element ##(r+I,m) \in R/I \times M##, there is precisely one output associated with this input (see uniqueness of image in the definition of function).

That's what I proved: Hope it is clear now.

If you like an analogy that you have already encountered (probably), think about the function ##\phi: G/\ker f \to f(G): g + \ker f \mapsto f(g)## which you already encountered in the first isomorphism theorem of groups. We must also prove that this function is well defined.

Likes Math Amateur
Thanks Math_QED ...

Yes ... clear now ... post above is most helpful ...

Peter

Likes member 587159
Hi Math_QED ...

Another question that you may be able to help with ... I am puzzled about the definition and nature of the "multiplications" involved in the equation

##(r+I)m = rm## ... ... ... ... ... (1)It seems to me that there are two multiplications involved and I am not sure how they are defined ... indeed suppose the two multiplications are ##\star## and ##\circ## ... ... then, (1) becomes##(r+I) \star m = r \circ m##But how are ##\star## and ##\circ## defined ... where do they come from ... what is their nature ,,,Can you help ... ...

Math Amateur said:
Hi Math_QED ...

Another question that you may be able to help with ... I am puzzled about the definition and nature of the "multiplications" involved in the equation

##(r+I)m = rm## ... ... ... ... ... (1)It seems to me that there are two multiplications involved and I am not sure how they are defined ... indeed suppose the two multiplications are ##\star## and ##\circ## ... ... then, (1) becomes##(r+I) \star m = r \circ m##But how are ##\star## and ##\circ## defined ... where do they come from ... what is their nature ,,,Can you help ... ...

You are right: the multiplication in the R/I module is build using the multiplication in the R-module! This is something that is done a lot in mathematics: extending known structures to other structures.

This thing also happens for example when we define an operation on the sets of cosets ##g+N## where ##g## is an element of a group ##G## and ##N## is a normal subgroup. We define ##(gN)\circ(hN) = (g.h)N## where ##\circ## is the operation in the quotient group, ##.## the operation in the group ##G##. This also gives another example of an addition where it is not clear whether this is well defined. Turns out that the addition I wrote down here makes sense if and only if ##N## is a normal subgroup.

To give a concrete answer to your question: the operation ##\circ## in your case is given. It is just an operation on the R-module ##M##. The other one is defined, in terms of ##\circ##, via the formula you wrote down.

Likes Math Amateur
Thanks Math_QED ...

Very much appreciate all your help on the above issues ...

Peter

Related to (R/I)-Modules .... Dummit and Foote Example (5), Section 10.1

What are (R/I)-Modules in the context of Dummit and Foote Example (5), Section 10.1?

(R/I)-Modules are a type of module in which the scalar multiplication is defined by elements of a quotient ring R/I, where R is a ring and I is an ideal of R. This is a generalization of the concept of vector spaces, where the scalar multiplication is defined by elements of a field.

How do (R/I)-Modules differ from other types of modules?

In (R/I)-Modules, the scalar multiplication is defined by elements of a quotient ring R/I, whereas in other types of modules, the scalar multiplication is defined by elements of the base ring R. This allows for more flexibility and generalization in the definition and properties of (R/I)-Modules.

What are some examples of (R/I)-Modules?

Some examples of (R/I)-Modules include vector spaces over a field, modules over a ring R, and submodules of any of these modules. Also, any quotient module M/N, where M is an (R/I)-Module and N is a submodule of M, is an (R/I)-Module.

How are (R/I)-Modules related to quotient rings?

(R/I)-Modules are closely related to quotient rings, as the scalar multiplication in (R/I)-Modules is defined by elements of R/I, which is a quotient ring. This connection allows for the use of quotient ring properties in the study of (R/I)-Modules.

What is the significance of (R/I)-Modules in mathematics?

(R/I)-Modules are important in abstract algebra and commutative algebra, as they provide a generalization of vector spaces and modules over a ring. They are also useful in the study of ring and module homomorphisms, and are essential in the understanding of quotient rings and modules.