Range and injectivity of f(x,y) = (e^x cos y, e^x sin y)

  • Thread starter Thread starter linearfish
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
linearfish
Messages
25
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Let f = (f1,f2) be the mapping of R2 into R2 given by f1=excos(y), f2=exsin(y).
(1) What is the range of f?
(2) Show that every point of R2 has a neighborhood in which f is one-to-one.
(3) Show that f is not one-to-one on R2.

The Attempt at a Solution


(1) Since ex is nonzero and cos and sin cannot be 0 at the same time, then the origin is not in the range, so the range is R2\{0,0}.

(2) Calculating the Jacobian we get:
J = e2xcos2y + e2xsin2y= e2x, which is nonzero, so every point has a neighborhood in which f is one-to-one.

(3) This is where I'm really stuck. I assume we need to find a point that is mapped by two different ordered pairs but I don't know how to go about finding those points.

Any help on #3 or comments on the previous parts is appreciated. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, duh. I guess it didn't occur to me to hold x constant, so the points (0,pi) and (0,3*pi) both map to (-1,0), hence f is not one-to-one. Thanks.

Does the rest look okay?