1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radial and transeverse acceleration

1. Jan 1, 2014 #1
    Particle is travelling along a plane smooth curve.At any point an acceleration is
    1 . Resultant of radial and transeverse components?
    2. Resultant of tangential and normal components?
    Are both 1 and 2 valid?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2014 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi gianeshwar! :wink:

tell us what you think, and why, and then we'll comment! :smile:

4. Jan 2, 2014 #3
    Not only are they valid, but they are both the same thing: normal = radial, and tangential = transverse.

5. Jan 2, 2014 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

no, i think "radial" in this case is from the origin :wink:

6. Jan 2, 2014 #5
    Normal and tangential are directions in the Frenet-Serret frame. Radial and transverse are directions in the polar coordinate frame. They coincide identically only when the curve is a circle about the polar system's origin.

7. Jan 2, 2014 #6
    I guess I learned something new. I've never heard of transverse used for polar coordinates. I would have called it circumferential. Go figure.

Chet

8. Jan 2, 2014 #7
    I think it is also called azimuthal. There is also confusion about centripetal, whether it is "radial" or "normal". I have been confused myself :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook