Radial and transeverse acceleration

In summary, at any point along a plane smooth curve, the acceleration can be calculated as the resultant of both radial and transverse components, or as the resultant of both tangential and normal components. These terms can be used interchangeably, but they coincide only when the curve is a circle about the origin in polar coordinates. However, there may be some confusion or differences in terminology regarding the use of "transverse" and "normal" for polar coordinates.
gianeshwar
Particle is traveling along a plane smooth curve.At any point an acceleration is
1 . Resultant of radial and transeverse components?
2. Resultant of tangential and normal components?
Are both 1 and 2 valid?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi gianeshwar! :wink:

tell us what you think, and why, and then we'll comment! :smile:

gianeshwar said:
Particle is traveling along a plane smooth curve.At any point an acceleration is
1 . Resultant of radial and transeverse components?
2. Resultant of tangential and normal components?
Are both 1 and 2 valid?
Not only are they valid, but they are both the same thing: normal = radial, and tangential = transverse.

no, i think "radial" in this case is from the origin :wink:

Chestermiller said:
Not only are they valid, but they are both the same thing: normal = radial, and tangential = transverse.

Normal and tangential are directions in the Frenet-Serret frame. Radial and transverse are directions in the polar coordinate frame. They coincide identically only when the curve is a circle about the polar system's origin.

voko said:
Normal and tangential are directions in the Frenet-Serret frame. Radial and transverse are directions in the polar coordinate frame. They coincide identically only when the curve is a circle about the polar system's origin.
I guess I learned something new. I've never heard of transverse used for polar coordinates. I would have called it circumferential. Go figure.

Chet

I think it is also called azimuthal. There is also confusion about centripetal, whether it is "radial" or "normal". I have been confused myself :)

What is radial acceleration?

Radial acceleration is the acceleration that occurs when an object moves in a circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle, and its magnitude is given by the formula a = v²/r, where v is the speed of the object and r is the radius of the circle.

What is transverse acceleration?

Transverse acceleration is the acceleration that occurs when an object changes its direction. It is perpendicular to the velocity of the object and its magnitude is given by the formula a = v²/r, where v is the speed of the object and r is the radius of the curve the object is following.

How does radial acceleration affect an object's velocity?

Radial acceleration can change the direction of an object's velocity, but not its magnitude. This means that the object's speed will remain constant, but its velocity vector will continuously point towards the center of the circle it is moving in.

What is the relationship between radial and tangential acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the acceleration that occurs in the direction of the object's motion. In circular motion, it is always perpendicular to the radial acceleration. The two accelerations together create a net acceleration that determines the overall direction and magnitude of the object's motion.

How do radial and transverse accelerations relate to each other in non-circular motion?

In non-circular motion, radial and transverse acceleration may still exist, but they are not constant. The direction and magnitude of these accelerations can change depending on the object's path. In this case, the net acceleration is the vector sum of the radial and tangential accelerations at any given point.