Radiative heat transfer and states of matter

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
SpitfireAce
Messages
131
Reaction score
0
I noticed that my tea heats up faster than the cup it's in when I microwave it... how come? aren't solids more conductive? Also... I was wondering how the notion of vibrating atoms/electrons (heat) squares with quantum mechanics, probability waves and such?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The frequency of the 2.4GHz RF that is used in microwave ovens was chosen because it is absorbed/heats water molecules very effectively. The plastic of the cup has no water molecules or metal particles, and so it doesn't absorb much of the RF energy.
 
thank you, that explains the tea observation
it's a porcelain cup (opaque), I don't think that matters
in any case, I see... but excluding the different absorption bias' of the various molecules, if a solid, a liquid, and a gas were heated via radiation... the solid should heat up the fastest, right?
 
Last edited: