Radio waves travel at speed of light?

In summary, it seems that radio waves don't actually travel at the speed of light in a vacuum. Additionally, the time it takes for a radio wave to travel a couple of kilometers is not negligible, and can take up to a few milliseconds. Finally, it seems that the speed of light is not the only speed at which messages travel, and there are other delays that need to be taken into account.
LM741
hi all...

Something doesn't quite add up here:

A radio wave is an electromagentic wave, right.

It therefore travels at the speed of light, right.

Then why does it actually take a finite amount time (like secoonds or even miliseconds) to travel a couple of kilometers??

mathematically, just doesn't make sense.

In theory, the time to travel a couple of km should be almost negligible!
but its not- evidently!

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
1. They only travel at the speed of light in a vacuum, when propogating through a medium they are slowed according to the permeability and permativity of the medium.
C = 1/sqrt(Permeability * Permativity)

2. Air has nearly normal permeability and permativity so in practice they do travel a nearly the speed of light.

What specific case are you referring to?

LM741 said:
hi all...

Something doesn't quite add up here:

A radio wave is an electromagentic wave, right.

It therefore travels at the speed of light, right.

Then why does it actually take a finite amount time (like secoonds or even miliseconds) to travel a couple of kilometers??

mathematically, just doesn't make sense.

In theory, the time to travel a couple of km should be almost negligible!
but its not- evidently!

thanks

Let's see, the speed of light is just about 300,000 km/sec, so it should take 1/300,000 = 3.33 microseconds to travel 1 km. This is short but still an easily measurable time period. I've never heard of radio waves taking seconds or milliseconds to travel a kilometer or two.

Did you take into account the time delays of the components in the emitter / receiver instruments?

Last edited:
What are you using as an example/proof of this delay?

say for an example if i send an sms - it will only arrive at the receiveing host a second or two later.

i suppose these time delays are due to processing the data before transmitting it?

LM741 said:
say for an example if i send an sms - it will only arrive at the receiveing host a second or two later.

i suppose these time delays are due to processing the data before transmitting it?
That's one quarter of it, yes.
There's also the processing at the tower, the sending to another tower, and the processing at the receiving end.

Other than that, sure, your messages should just fly at the speed of light! :rolleyes:

This is really funny. Did you really think that your sms's arrive with delay because of the speed of light? Then on Christmas and New Year's Eve the light must be really slow. Hey if your friend lives on an upper floor there could be some relativistic time dilation involved when you SMS him/her. :wink:

antonantal said:
Did you take into account the time delays of the components in the emitter / receiver instruments?

Not only that, but in some situations the signal might have to travel through several hundred kilometres of wiring (and switching), which does not propogate signals at light speed.

if only i was as knowledable as you, antonantal ...

i'm glad my desire to learn amuses you.

to think about: “Arrogance diminishes wisdom”

1. How fast do radio waves travel?

Radio waves travel at the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in physics and is the speed at which all electromagnetic waves, including radio waves, travel in a vacuum. It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

3. Why do radio waves travel at the speed of light?

Radio waves are a type of electromagnetic radiation, which all travel at the same speed in a vacuum. This is due to the fundamental nature of electromagnetic waves and the properties of space and time.

4. How does the speed of light affect radio communication?

The speed of light determines how quickly radio waves can travel from one point to another. This is important in radio communication as it affects the propagation and reception of radio signals.

5. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to the theory of relativity, it is not possible for any object with mass to travel at or faster than the speed of light. However, there are some theories that suggest the existence of particles that may travel faster than light, but these have not been proven.