Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radioactive magnetism as propulsion

1. Aug 14, 2010 #1
    Radiomagnetism or radioactive magnetism. Has any research been done on this phenomenon as a source of propulsion. Are we thinking too small? Can the various levels of radioactivity affect magnetic propulsion by increasing its magnitude. What would be required to observe this on a large scale? Would it need to be done in space?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2010 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't think there is any such thing as "radioactive magnetism".

4. Aug 25, 2010 #3
    I've never heard of "radioactive magnetism" also. I have always wondered if somebody has ever built an electromagnet with a radioactive core. Will the magnetic field encourage fission?

5. Aug 26, 2010 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Google searches on "radiomagnetism" and "radioactive magnetism" didn't turn up anything useful.

6. Sep 2, 2010 #5
    Yes there has already been successful research into electromagnetic radiation propulsion. I’m sorry I can’t give you the name because it was a wile ago when I read about this. It was a satellite propelled from electromagnetic radiation (gamma rays) to very slowly accelerate a probe. From what I remember it was very little acceleration and could not be piloted because of the exposure to harmful rays. I can’t give you any more info than that sorry. TM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook