Radioactive magnetism as propulsion

In summary, there has been research done on electromagnetic radiation propulsion, which involves using gamma rays to slowly accelerate a probe. However, due to the exposure to harmful rays, it cannot be piloted and has very little acceleration. It is unclear if the concept of "radioactive magnetism" exists, as a Google search did not yield any useful results. It is possible that an electromagnet with a radioactive core could be used to enhance magnetic propulsion, but further research and testing would be needed, potentially on a larger scale and possibly in space.
Grand1
Radiomagnetism or radioactive magnetism. Has any research been done on this phenomenon as a source of propulsion. Are we thinking too small? Can the various levels of radioactivity affect magnetic propulsion by increasing its magnitude. What would be required to observe this on a large scale? Would it need to be done in space?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there is any such thing as "radioactive magnetism".

I've never heard of "radioactive magnetism" also. I have always wondered if somebody has ever built an electromagnet with a radioactive core. Will the magnetic field encourage fission?

Google searches on "radiomagnetism" and "radioactive magnetism" didn't turn up anything useful.

Yes there has already been successful research into electromagnetic radiation propulsion. I’m sorry I can’t give you the name because it was a wile ago when I read about this. It was a satellite propelled from electromagnetic radiation (gamma rays) to very slowly accelerate a probe. From what I remember it was very little acceleration and could not be piloted because of the exposure to harmful rays. I can’t give you any more info than that sorry. TM

1. How does radioactive magnetism work as a form of propulsion?

Radioactive magnetism refers to the use of radioactive materials to generate a magnetic field. This magnetic field can then be used to propel an object, similar to how a magnet can be used to push or pull another magnet. The radioactive material decays and emits particles, which interact with the object's magnetic field and cause it to move forward.

2. What are the advantages of using radioactive magnetism as propulsion?

One advantage is that it does not require any external fuel source, as the decay of the radioactive material provides the necessary energy. This makes it a potentially sustainable form of propulsion. Additionally, it can potentially reach very high speeds and is not affected by external factors such as atmospheric drag.

3. Are there any risks associated with using radioactive magnetism as propulsion?

While there are some risks associated with handling and containing radioactive materials, the use of radioactive magnetism as propulsion does not pose a significant danger. The amount of radioactive material needed for propulsion is relatively small, and proper safety measures can be taken to minimize any potential risks.

4. Can radioactive magnetism be used for long-distance space travel?

Yes, radioactive magnetism has the potential to be used for long-distance space travel. Since it does not require external fuel, it could potentially provide a continuous source of propulsion for extended periods of time. However, more research and development is needed to make this a viable option.

5. Is radioactive magnetism currently being used in any spacecraft or vehicles?

At this time, radioactive magnetism is not being used in any spacecraft or vehicles. However, there have been several studies and experiments exploring its potential use, and it may be incorporated into future space missions. It is still a relatively new concept and further research is needed before it can be implemented on a larger scale.