1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radioactivity question

1. Sep 9, 2014 #1
    The question is: The activity of a source of Tc-99m (half-life = 6.01 hours) is counted in an ionization
    chamber in a radiopharmacy.

(b) 44989345 counts are counted in 5.0 seconds. What is the activity of this
    sample and what is the error on this measurement?

(c) A nearby hospital carries out a procedure which requires 6.0 MBq of Tc-99m
    radiolabelled to a phosphate analogue in order to perform a bone scan. What
    is the maximum amount of time that can be taken to transport the sample so
    that enough activity reaches the hospital?

I did b but I'm not sure how to do this question but this is how I answered it, i got the 9 from part b:

N= No x e^(-λt)
    6 = 9 x e ^ ( - 0.0013 x t)
    ln (2/3) = -0.0013 x t
    t = 311.9 s

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2014 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi melissaaa, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Please use the posting template provided to format your questions when you post the the Homework sections of PF.

You haven't explained the "-0.0013" value that you've used for the decay constant. Where did that come from? (Hint: it's related to the half-life, so check your calculation...)

4. Sep 9, 2014 #3
    I did it again and I think I got the decay constant wrong, is it meant to be:

T(1/2)= ln(2)/λ

λ= ln(2) /6.01 x 60 x 60
    = 0.0000320367...

5. Sep 10, 2014 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Okay, that looks better. What units are associated with λ? Always provide units when you show results.

This new value for λ should lead you to a more reasonable result for part (c)...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted