Radius of Convergence: Evaluate & Ignoring Extra Vars

In summary: Notice that if $a_k$ is not independent of $x$, then the limit won't exist and you'll have to find another way to find the radius of convergence.
brunette15
I am attempting to evaluate the radius of convergence for a series that goes from k=0 to infinity. The series is given by (k*x^k)/(3^k).

I have begun by using the ratio test and have gotten to the point L = (k+1)*x/3k

Now i know i can find out the radius of convergence by simply saying R = 1/L.

However, i am always unsure what to do with the extra x and k variables that i still have in L. Can they just be ignored?

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that your series has $x$ as an argument, i.e. it's more a function $f$ like:
$$f(x) = \sum_{k = 0}^\infty \frac{k x^k}{3^k}$$
and the radius of convergence $R$ simply means that the series converges for all arguments $x$ such that $\lvert x \rvert < R$. So it should be clear that the radius of convergence can't depend on $k$ (which is just a dummy variable used for the sum) or $x$.

Remember that you are dealing with a power series here, which is more clearly expressed as a sum of coefficients and powers:
$$f(x) = \sum_{k = 0}^\infty \frac{k}{3^k} x^k$$
Here the power is the $x^k$ term (and is the ONLY place $x$ can appear) and the coefficient is $k / 3^k$, which must be independent of $x$. The radius of convergence of the series depends only on the coefficients, not on the $x^k$ term (which is there for all power series anyway) so the radius of convergence can't depend on $x$. Finally, the radius of convergence is defined as a limit process as $k \to \infty$, given by:
$$R = \frac{1}{\lim\sup_{k \to \infty} \sqrt[k]{\lvert a_k \rvert}}$$
where $a_k$ is the $k$th coefficient of your power series, that is, $k / 3^k$ (again, independent of $x$). So your $L$ (the limit in the denominator) is wrong, since it can't depend on $k$. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Bacterius said:
Remember that your series has $x$ as an argument, i.e. it's more a function $f$ like:
$$f(x) = \sum_{k = 0}^\infty \frac{k x^k}{3^k}$$
and the radius of convergence $R$ simply means that the series converges for all arguments $x$ such that $\lvert x \rvert \leq R$. So it should be clear that the radius of convergence can't depend on $k$ (which is just a dummy variable used for the sum) or $x$.

Remember that you are dealing with a power series here, which is more clearly expressed as a sum of coefficients and powers:
$$f(x) = \sum_{k = 0}^\infty \frac{k}{3^k} x^k$$
Here the power is the $x^k$ term (and is the ONLY place $x$ can appear) and the coefficient is $k / 3^k$, which must be independent of $x$. The radius of convergence of the series depends only on the coefficients, not on the $x^k$ term (which is there for all power series anyway) so the radius of convergence can't depend on $x$. Finally, the radius of convergence is defined as a limit process as $k \to \infty$, given by:
$$R = \frac{1}{\lim\sup_{k \to \infty} \sqrt[k]{\lvert a_k \rvert}}$$
where $a_k$ is the $k$th coefficient of your power series, that is, $k / 3^k$ (again, independent of $x$). So your $L$ (the limit in the denominator) is wrong, since it can't depend on $k$. Hope that helps.

That makes a lot more sense! Thankyou!

Usually radii of convergence are found with the ratio test, rather than the root test. To evaluate the radius of convergence, you need to solve for x where $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \lim_{k \to \infty} \left| \frac{a_{k+1}}{a_k} \right| < 1 \end{align*}$.

1. What is the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence is a mathematical concept that is used to determine the interval in which a power series will converge to a finite value. It is denoted by R and is defined as the distance from the center of the power series to the nearest point where the series diverges.

2. How do you calculate the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence can be calculated using the ratio test, where the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the power series is taken as n approaches infinity. If this limit is less than 1, then the series will converge and the radius of convergence can be found by taking the reciprocal of the limit.

3. What is the significance of the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence is significant because it determines the interval in which the power series will converge to a finite value. If the value of x is within this interval, then the power series can be used to accurately approximate the function. If x falls outside of this interval, then the series will diverge and cannot be used to approximate the function.

4. What does it mean to evaluate and ignore extra vars?

Evaluating and ignoring extra vars refers to finding the radius of convergence for a power series when some of the variables in the series are held constant. This allows for a more simplified calculation of the radius of convergence and is useful when dealing with multivariable functions.

5. Can the radius of convergence change for a given power series?

Yes, the radius of convergence can change for a given power series if the function being approximated changes. It is important to recalculate the radius of convergence if the function is altered in any way, such as by adding or subtracting terms in the series.