What is the Radius of Convergence for a Series with a Real Non-Zero Alpha?

In summary, we discussed using the Ratio Test to find the radius of convergence for a series with variable alpha. The value of alpha does not affect the radius of convergence, and it can be any real number except for 0. If alpha is a positive integer, the series will terminate and the radius of convergence is infinite. However, for other values of alpha, the radius of convergence can be found using the Ratio Test, which in this case gave a result of 1.
aruwin
Hello.

How do I find the radius of convergence for this problem?
$\alpha$ is a real number that is not 0.

$$f(z)=1+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\alpha(\alpha-1)...(\alpha-n+1)\frac{z^n}{n!}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
aruwin said:
Hello.

How do I find the radius of convergence for this problem?
$\alpha$ is a real number that is not 0.

$$f(z)=1+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\alpha(\alpha-1)...(\alpha-n+1)\frac{z^n}{n!}$$

Have you tried using the Ratio Test?

Prove It said:

Before that, does the value of $\alpha$ matter? I mean, no matter if it's positive or negative, would it affect the radius of convergence?
I understand that we can use the ratio test to find R. And by using ratio test, I got R=1. But in the answer, it also says that if α is a positive real number, then this series terminates.
==> The radius of convergence is ∞.

Last edited:
Prove It said:
If α is a positive integer, the ratio test doesn't apply because the series isn't infinite.

Consider the example α = 4. The coefficient of z^5 would be

4(4 - 1)(4 - 2)(4 - 3)(4 - 4)/5! = 0

Every coefficient after that would also be zero. So, does that mean the ratio test can only be used when α is a NEGATIVE INTEGER? What happens to the radius of convergence when alpha is a positive integer?

By the way, the ratio test gives me R= 1.

1. What is the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence is a mathematical concept used in power series to determine the range of values for which the series will converge. It is represented by the letter R and is defined as the distance from the center of the series to the point where the series converges.

2. How is the radius of convergence calculated?

The radius of convergence is calculated using the ratio test, which involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series. If the limit is less than 1, the series will converge, and the radius of convergence is equal to the reciprocal of this limit.

3. Why is the radius of convergence important?

The radius of convergence is important because it tells us the range of values for which the power series will converge. This allows us to determine the validity and accuracy of using the series to approximate functions within that range. It also helps us identify any singularities or points of discontinuity in the function.

4. Can the radius of convergence be infinite?

Yes, the radius of convergence can be infinite. This means that the power series will converge for all values of the variable, and the series will represent the function for the entire domain. This is usually the case for simple functions such as polynomials.

5. What happens if the radius of convergence is 0?

If the radius of convergence is 0, then the power series will only converge at the center of the series and will diverge for all other values. In this case, the series cannot be used to approximate the function, and other methods must be used to analyze the behavior of the function.