Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Radius of curvature of a function

1. Apr 6, 2010 #1

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a graph of y=lg(x) which is supposed to mimic the curvature of a beam, or I can use y =√x to be more precise. But in essence between two points x2 and x1, I need to find the radius of curvature R so as to find the bending stress on it.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know if it is as simple as taking the arc length and dividing by π or something. Any help would be fine.

Or could I use

E/R = σ/y

and use σ as the yield stress and get R from there, though that is assuming that it is a straight beam.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Apr 6, 2010 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

:rofl: oh my, I've seen that equation all my life and I've been using it to find radius, add in the word curvature and I complicate life. Thanks for lessening my work load!

Would it be best to use the average of x1 and x2 and get the curvature then?

5. Apr 6, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not sure. I don't know the engineering problem. Do you want an average between x1 and x2, or a max between x1 and x2 or something else? What's best depends on the problem.

6. Apr 6, 2010 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

If I could I'd like to get an average estimate for the entire length from x=1 to some x=x2

EDIT: nvm, I am analyzing the beam at different sections, so those are at certain x points, so I can just reuse the formula throughout. Thank you again.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook