1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Radius of curvature of a function

1. Apr 6, 2010 #1

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a graph of y=lg(x) which is supposed to mimic the curvature of a beam, or I can use y =√x to be more precise. But in essence between two points x2 and x1, I need to find the radius of curvature R so as to find the bending stress on it.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know if it is as simple as taking the arc length and dividing by π or something. Any help would be fine.

Or could I use

E/R = σ/y

and use σ as the yield stress and get R from there, though that is assuming that it is a straight beam.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Apr 6, 2010 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

:rofl: oh my, I've seen that equation all my life and I've been using it to find radius, add in the word curvature and I complicate life. Thanks for lessening my work load!

Would it be best to use the average of x1 and x2 and get the curvature then?

5. Apr 6, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not sure. I don't know the engineering problem. Do you want an average between x1 and x2, or a max between x1 and x2 or something else? What's best depends on the problem.

6. Apr 6, 2010 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

If I could I'd like to get an average estimate for the entire length from x=1 to some x=x2

EDIT: nvm, I am analyzing the beam at different sections, so those are at certain x points, so I can just reuse the formula throughout. Thank you again.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook