Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radius of curvature ?

1. Mar 20, 2008 #1
    What is radius of curvature and why is it equal to 2f where f is the focal length of a lens or a mirror ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2008 #2
    You can check the definition in this : ttp://mathworld.wolfram.com/RadiusofCurvature.html

The radius of a spherical mirror is equal to 2f : that's right. But the lense : I am not sure.
    You can see in the attached picture: AOF is an isosceles triangle.

Attached Files:

4. Mar 20, 2008 #3
    but looking at th diagram I don't see where the centre of that arc is.
  5. Mar 20, 2008 #4

Staff: Mentor

For a concave mirror see

For a lens, the radius of curvature (it can be different for the front and back surfaces of a lens) is generally not equal to 2f. For the focal length of a lens see

6. Mar 20, 2008 #5
    What is the significance of radius of curvature ?
  7. Mar 20, 2008 #6

Staff: Mentor

Imagine that the surface is part of a circle or sphere. The radius of curvature is the radius of that circle/sphere.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  8. Mar 20, 2008 #7
    In my picture, the arc center is O because it is a part of a cicle. Remember that diagram and thurs formula only fits for a spherical concave mirror.

PS. Sorry I can not login my nick pixel01 because I forgot the pw and unfortunately the email address has been expired.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?