Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rain rain go away

1. Jul 20, 2007 #1

wolram

Gold Member

It started at 6 this morning it is now 2 in the afternoon and the heavy rain
    has not stopped, in all the days i have been alive i have never seen any thing like it, even my raised weed bed has been washed away.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2007 #2

wolram

Gold Member

I just tried to visit my folks, all ways out of my village are flooded, water is spewing out of drains, feilds are now lakes :grumpy:

4. Jul 20, 2007 #3
    i hate rains :((
    and specially those pesky crawling earthworms.. eeeeeeeeewww

5. Jul 20, 2007 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

:frown: Poor weeds.

6. Jul 20, 2007 #5

wolram

Gold Member

The people next door to me do not even have a front garden any more, the
    rain has took about a foot of top soil away, i did try to get to work but getting through three floods was enough, at least i have a nice clean car now
    :smile:

7. Jul 20, 2007 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It did (go away) today at Lord's today.

Edit: It did today here in Saint John, too, but there is still a thick fog through which it's hard to see a 100 metres, but this is quite common in Saint John. A common saying here is "You can't see the clouds for the fog."

Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  8. Jul 20, 2007 #7

wolram

Gold Member

:rofl:

Some pics.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6909198.stm

9. Jul 20, 2007 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

That's a lot of water Wolram.

10. Jul 20, 2007 #9

wolram

Gold Member

Sure is, it is the first time in recoded history that whales have been sighted in Bishops brook.

11. Jul 20, 2007 #10
    I want rain!!!!!!!!! GRRRR

12. Jul 20, 2007 #11

radou

Homework Helper

Me too!!! It's +40 here these days!!! :bugeye:

13. Jul 20, 2007 #12

wolram

Gold Member

Where are you radou ?

14. Jul 20, 2007 #13
    I live in a desert. Averages four inches of precipitation a year. And we've been having a drought for a few years.

I want some rain. :(

15. Jul 20, 2007 #14

radou

Homework Helper

I'm in Croatia.

16. Jul 21, 2007 #15
    darn it. it rained here too. eeks

17. Jul 23, 2007 #16
    i saw the footage of floods on TV today. its horrible. water, water everywhere

18. Jul 23, 2007 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, I saw the footage on TV this morning too, but since I was watching the local news, it wasn't very informative. They make it sound like all of England is under water. From those who are either there or have found more reliable news sources on this...what parts are flooded, and how extensive is it?

19. Jul 23, 2007 #18

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, it's definitely not all of England that is under water! The main flooding is in Gloucester and Tewkesbury (where I'm just hearing now that there are 7 000 people stranded). There's also a large risk of the Thames overflowing and affecting Oxford-- so much so that they're opening a football stadium for potential refugees. Anyway, here is the BBC's latest news page on the flooding and here is a page showing photos from various areas.

I also heard on the news this morning that supermarkets in affected areas sold out of water early this morning, and then found people making money out of selling the said bottles outside the store for something like a 1000% mark-up :rolleyes:

Luckily, I live very close to a largeish city, and not close to any overflowing rivers, so I should be fine, but I really feel for people living in other affected areas.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  20. Jul 23, 2007 #19

wolram

Gold Member

Even though they are not flooded now the flash floods damaged many properties, several in the small town i work in, a co workers house may not be habitable for a month or more, the water came down so fast the ground just could not soak it up.

21. Jul 23, 2007 #20
    I was sorry to hear of all the water problems. They showed some really good rescues on the TV tonight, with some very brave older folks being hoisted into the air.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?