Rainy Day Blues: Wish for Sun to Shine Again

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rain
In summary, there has been heavy rain since 6 AM and it is now 2 PM. The rain has caused extensive flooding and damage, including washing away raised weed beds and taking away topsoil. Many roads are flooded, making travel difficult. The rain has also caused a thick fog in Saint John. In some areas, there is a shortage of water due to panic buying and price gouging. The flooding is concentrated in Gloucester and Tewkesbury, but there is also a risk of the Thames overflowing and affecting Oxford. Some areas have experienced flash floods, causing damage to properties. There have been reports of heroic rescues. The rain has stopped in some areas, but there is a possibility of more rain.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
It started at 6 this morning it is now 2 in the afternoon and the heavy rain
has not stopped, in all the days i have been alive i have never seen any thing like it, even my raised weed bed has been washed away.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just tried to visit my folks, all ways out of my village are flooded, water is spewing out of drains, fields are now lakes :grumpy:

i hate rains :((
and specially those pesky crawling earthworms.. eeeeeeeeewww

wolram said:
even my raised weed bed has been washed away.
:frown: Poor weeds.

Evo said:
:frown: Poor weeds.

The people next door to me do not even have a front garden any more, the
rain has took about a foot of top soil away, i did try to get to work but getting through three floods was enough, at least i have a nice clean car now
:smile:

It did (go away) today at Lord's today.

Edit: It did today here in Saint John, too, but there is still a thick fog through which it's hard to see a 100 metres, but this is quite common in Saint John. A common saying here is "You can't see the clouds for the fog."

Last edited:
George Jones said:
It did (go away) today at Lord's today.

Edit: It did today here in Saint John, too, but there is still a thick fog through which it's hard to see a 100 metres, but this is quite common in Saint John. A common saying here is "You can't see the clouds for the fog."

:rofl:

Some pics.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6909198.stm

That's a lot of water Wolram.

Evo said:
That's a lot of water Wolram.

Sure is, it is the first time in recoded history that whales have been sighted in Bishops brook.

I want rain! GRRRR

moose said:
I want rain! GRRRR

Me too! It's +40 here these days! :bugeye:

radou said:
Me too! It's +40 here these days! :bugeye:

Where are you radou ?

I live in a desert. Averages four inches of precipitation a year. And we've been having a drought for a few years.

I want some rain. :(

wolram said:
Where are you radou ?

I'm in Croatia.

darn it. it rained here too. eeks

i saw the footage of floods on TV today. its horrible. water, water everywhere

Yeah, I saw the footage on TV this morning too, but since I was watching the local news, it wasn't very informative. They make it sound like all of England is under water. From those who are either there or have found more reliable news sources on this...what parts are flooded, and how extensive is it?

Well, it's definitely not all of England that is under water! The main flooding is in Gloucester and Tewkesbury (where I'm just hearing now that there are 7 000 people stranded). There's also a large risk of the Thames overflowing and affecting Oxford-- so much so that they're opening a football stadium for potential refugees. Anyway, here is the BBC's latest news page on the flooding and here is a page showing photos from various areas.

I also heard on the news this morning that supermarkets in affected areas sold out of water early this morning, and then found people making money out of selling the said bottles outside the store for something like a 1000% mark-up :rolleyes:

Luckily, I live very close to a largeish city, and not close to any overflowing rivers, so I should be fine, but I really feel for people living in other affected areas.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
Yeah, I saw the footage on TV this morning too, but since I was watching the local news, it wasn't very informative. They make it sound like all of England is under water. From those who are either there or have found more reliable news sources on this...what parts are flooded, and how extensive is it?

Even though they are not flooded now the flash floods damaged many properties, several in the small town i work in, a co workers house may not be habitable for a month or more, the water came down so fast the ground just could not soak it up.

I was sorry to hear of all the water problems. They showed some really good rescues on the TV tonight, with some very brave older folks being hoisted into the air.

Yes, I saw some videos this morning. It looked bad enough, but they said it will get worse before it gets better. :frown:

I don't know what it's like where anyone else is today, but here it's actually stopped raining and the sun's come out! Let's hope the rain holds off for a while.

YAYYY! Yesterday the rain here was so hardcore. I hope it rains again today...

1. What causes rainy day blues?

Rainy day blues, also known as seasonal affective disorder (SAD), is caused by a lack of sunlight and can be triggered by changes in the season, specifically during the fall and winter months.

2. How does sunlight affect our mood?

Sunlight triggers the release of serotonin, a chemical in the brain that helps regulate mood. When there is less sunlight, our serotonin levels may decrease, leading to feelings of depression and lethargy.

3. Is there a cure for rainy day blues?

While there is no known cure for SAD, there are treatments that can help alleviate symptoms. These include light therapy, which involves exposure to artificial sunlight, and counseling or therapy to address the emotional effects of SAD.

4. Can rainy day blues affect anyone?

Rainy day blues can affect anyone, but it is more common in people who live in areas with long, dark winters. It also tends to affect women more than men, and those with a family history of depression or SAD.

5. How can I prevent rainy day blues?

To prevent rainy day blues, it is important to try to get as much natural sunlight as possible, especially during the winter months. This can be achieved by spending time outdoors, sitting near windows, or using a light therapy box. Additionally, maintaining a healthy lifestyle with regular exercise and a balanced diet can also help improve mood and prevent SAD.