1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Ramp function, Dirac delta function and distributions

1. Jun 13, 2010 #1
    [tex]r(x) = x[/tex] if [tex]x \geq 0[/tex] and [tex]r(x) = 0 [/tex] if [tex] x<0[/tex]

I have to show that:

1-[tex]\[ \int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty} r(x) \varphi ''(x) dx = \varphi(0) \][/tex]

And 2- that the second derivative of r is the Dirac delta.

And I managed to do this by integrating by parts. Howver, I don't get why I can't just write:

[tex]\[ \int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty} r''(x) \varphi (x) dx = \varphi(0) \][/tex]

Wouldn't that be correct considering distributions (I actually used this to show the second point)? I guess my question is, why can't I write the second derivatives of the ramp function (the derivative of the Heaviside function) simply as

[tex]r(x) = 0[/tex] if [tex]x \geq 0[/tex] and [tex]r(x) = 0 [/tex] if [tex] x<0[/tex]

i.e. 0

Which would make the integral = 0

Does it only have a second derivative in the distribution sense? Why?

EDIT: I don't get why my message is being displayed like this...
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2010 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Change the backslash in your closing tex tags to a forward slash, i.e. /tex instead of \tex.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook