Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #1,401
zoobyshoe said:
Sting claims he was never called "Gordon."-wiki
Maybe if he really loves the name Sting so much, he should set it free, free-free, set it free.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,402
WWGD said:
Maybe if he really loves the name Sting so much, he should set it free, free-free, set it free.
Is there some incident in your past with bees or wasps we should know about?

• #1,403
zoobyshoe said:
Is there some incident in your past with bees or wasps we should know about?

We'll have two wait a couple of weeks to know better, my therapist is out of town till July. Until then, there will be a fortress around my heart.

• #1,404
WWGD said:
We'll have two wait a couple of weeks to know better, my therapist is out of town till July.
Sorry. If I'd known I would never have mentioned Sting.

Lets change the subject to poetry. How about onomatopoeia? Here's a famous example:

the buzzing of innumerable bees

• #1,405
zoobyshoe said:
Sorry. If I'd known I would never have mentioned Sting.

Lets change the subject to poetry. How about onomatopoeia? Here's a famous example:

the buzzing of innumerable bees

I assume you may have liked the movie "Swarm", or, as Sean Connery calls it, S- warm.

• #1,406
WWGD said:
I assume you may have liked the movie "Swarm", or, as Sean Connery calls it, S- warm.
So now you want Sean Connery to change his name to Gordon?

• #1,407
zoobyshoe said:
So now you want Sean Connery to change his name to Gordon?

Yes, but I would also accept Sean Gordon. I am writing to him about it as I post this.

• #1,408
Felt like we just had a little earthquake.

• #1,409
WWGD said:
Yes, but I would also accept Sean Gordon. I am writing to him about it as I post this.
Best of luck with that.

• #1,410
zoobyshoe said:
Felt like we just had a little earthquake.
Common, it wasn't that bad of a joke!

• #1,411
WWGD said:
Common, it wasn't that bad of a joke!
No excuses. A disturbance in the force is a disturbance in the force.

• #1,412
zoobyshoe said:
No excuses. A disturbance in the force is a disturbance in the force.
Maybe that's why my toilet has been acting out recently ..

• #1,413
WWGD said:
Maybe that's why my toilet has been acting out recently ..
Stop calling it a toilet. Call it "Gordon."

• #1,414
zoobyshoe said:
Stop calling it a toilet. Call it "Gordon."

So we have the toilet Sting? Is that something you can catch at public bathrooms? Then, if you love
your toilet, set it free, free-free, plus $5.99 for S&H.

• #1,415
I heard desert roses bloom when you use Gordon water on them.

• #1,416
WWGD said:
I heard desert roses bloom when you use Gordon water on them.
Cats and dogs swear by it.

• #1,417
Mysteries at the Museum was very good tonight. Well, it was O.K.

• #1,418
Isn't there something wrong with the expression "behind their back"? If you go behind someone's back, aren't you in their front?

• #1,419
WWGD said:
Isn't there something wrong with the expression "behind their back"? If you go behind someone's back, aren't you in their front?
Are you the reincarnation of Lewis Carroll?

• #1,420
zoobyshoe said:
Are you the reincarnation of Lewis Carroll?

I don't know, are you intellectually related to Denis Miller and his obscure references? Its as if Don Gulet did a double trip over a Levantine Caravaggio (an excuse for my ignorance about Lewis Carroll).

And, while we're at it, shouldn't it be "ready to be eaten" instead of "ready to eat"?

• #1,421
WWGD said:
I don't know, are you intellectually related to Denis Miller and his obscure references? Its as if Don Gulet did a double trip over a Levantine Caravaggio.

And, while we're at it, shouldn't it be "ready to be eaten" instead of "ready to eat"?
I'll take that as a "yes," then.

Likes collinsmark
  • #1,422
zoobyshoe said:
I'll take that as a "yes," then.

Well that's what happens when teens start playing with their Ouija board without reading the warnings!

• #1,423
This just in:

Keep Portland Weird
We don't make this stuff up.

portland.pickles.2015.05.16.jpg

It's official: The Rose City's new baseball team is the Portland Pickles! "We want to stand out from the crowd and keep Portland weird," said Ken Wilson, Rose City Baseball President.

When the keepers of the weird, make a disclaimer, you know it's just a little extra weird.

• #1,424
WWGD said:
Well that's what happens when teens start playing with their Ouija board without reading the warnings!
That's correct.

And, now that you mention it, I think you're right about the logic of those two sayings.

• #1,425
zoobyshoe said:
That's correct.

And, now that you mention it, I think you're right about the logic of those two sayings.

What do you say we convince Greg to move our exchange here on Gordon-Sting, toilets , bees and Lewis Carrol from Ouija boards, into the "Insights" section?

• #1,426
WWGD said:
What do you say we convince Greg to move our exchange here on Gordon-Sting, toilets , bees and Lewis Carrol from Ouija boards, into the "Insights" section?
I think that would be most appropriate. Go ahead, PM him.

• #1,427
It would be nice if people hanging out in coffee shops would naturally organize themselves into groups of those who are there hanging out and those doing serious work. I often see people working hard feeling disrupted by those who go there to hang out and those going there to hang out feeling frustrated by not being able to start conversations informally. Maybe the two groups could hang out in different sections, e.g., north-south, left-right, etc., but, as it is, they are pretty randomly distributed. I mean like, e.g., sometimes walking traffic organizes itself by people keeping their right.

• #1,428
Speaking of coffee shops, where I grew up there were no coffee shops as such. The role now played by the coffee shop was then played by the diner or the bakery. They had, at least, a counter and usually some booths. You payed under 50 cents for a cup of coffee, and they would automatically just keep coming around filling it back up at no charge! Of course, they expected you to buy a modicum of donuts or breakfasts to make up for this, but there were always people who didn't.

It surprises me how fast all this changed so that now, the owner of a coffee shop would consider it an outrageous expectation on the part of a customer to get a free refill, much less a bottomless cup. I've run into some places that charge full price for a refill, and others that give one discounted refill then charge full price for the third cup.

• #1,429
zoobyshoe said:
Speaking of coffee shops, where I grew up there were no coffee shops as such. The role now played by the coffee shop was then played by the diner or the bakery. They had, at least, a counter and usually some booths. You payed under 50 cents for a cup of coffee, and they would automatically just keep coming around filling it back up at no charge! Of course, they expected you to buy a modicum of donuts or breakfasts to make up for this, but there were always people who didn't.

It surprises me how fast all this changed so that now, the owner of a coffee shop would consider it an outrageous expectation on the part of a customer to get a free refill, much less a bottomless cup. I've run into some places that charge full price for a refill, and others that give one discounted refill then charge full price for the third cup.
My best guess for why:

• #1,430
WWGD said:
My best guess for why:

Yes.

I also read, at some point in the past couple years, about a coffee shop owner who shuts off the wi-fi between 11:00 A.M. and 1:00 P.M. to clear out the people who sit online for hours, having only made the minimum purchase. He does it to make room for the lunch crowd, which is going to spend a lot more in a shorter time.

I feel like, if you resent people actually using your free-with-purchase wi-fi, then stop offering it.

• #1,431
Clubber is back up and running, new and improved.

(Clubber Lang is the name of my computer, btw.) Plus, I now have nearly enough spare parts left over to Frankenstein together a new computer, if I decide to.

• #1,432
collinsmark said:
Clubber is back up and running, new and improved.
Go Clubber!

• #1,434
zoobyshoe said:
Yes.

I also read, at some point in the past couple years, about a coffee shop owner who shuts off the wi-fi between 11:00 A.M. and 1:00 P.M. to clear out the people who sit online for hours, having only made the minimum purchase. He does it to make room for the lunch crowd, which is going to spend a lot more in a shorter time.

I feel like, if you resent people actually using your free-with-purchase wi-fi, then stop offering it.
I think that at the end of the day, over the long run, it more than evens out for the owner.

• #1,435
I would like to go to a store with a sign reading "Hugs AND drugs".