Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #2,731
nuuskur said:
It's nearing one year after I had quit smoking cigarettes. Cake anyone?
This reminded me that it's has been 20 years since I quit. Time flies when you're not struggling for breath. :oldtongue:

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,732
I really want to smoke a cigar(ette).

• #2,733
Alaska man stranded in Russia after flight canceled
http://news.yahoo.com/alaska-man-stranded-russia-flight-canceled-153908569.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Lawrence_Island

Sivoy Miklahook booked his flight to Russia when there were no scheduled return flights to Alaska, but he figured something would come up while he lived out his dream of visiting friends and family on the other side of the Bering Strait.
. . . .
Miklahook had permission to stay for 90 days after arriving in mid-August under an agreement allowing some western Alaska Natives to travel without a visa to Chukotka. The agreement, originally signed in 1989 by the U.S. and the Soviet Union, reflects long-standing family and cultural ties among many Natives on both sides of the strait. Travelers must have documented invitations from Russian residents, and they need passports. Alaska Natives were excluded the past few years because of administrative issues that were resolved in July.
. . . .
The airline offers only charter flights, and after Miklahook was already in Russia, a group booked an Oct. 7 charter, which he would have met in Anadyr, 275 miles from Provedeniya. That flight was ultimately canceled, and the airline has no more scheduled charters until July.

I hope he gets home before winter sets in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,734
JorisL said:
We do have a lot of café's but they serve beer as well. So I wouldn't call them coffee rooms.

We also have a lot of these, probably in imitation of the normal French café. The core fare is coffee based drinks, but they have a beer and wine license and a certain percentage of customers are there for that. They also serve sandwiches and salads and pastry. They may or may not call themselves a "coffee house." Some do, but others call themselves a "café."

Anyway, I am surprised that Europeans would choose the Starbucks experience over the native one. I suppose it's what WWGD said, fast coffee is new and unusual.

• #2,735
Silicon Waffle said:
I really want to smoke a cigar(ette).

Bad girl :))

• #2,736
Elections.. What is the strongest expletive that will not get me banned?

Likes dlgoff and lisab
  • #2,737
Borek said:
Elections.. What is the strongest expletive that will not get me banned?

I know this feeling - I've felt it before. It's horrible. But here's some comfort (I hope): that horrible feeling is the best of all First World Problems.

The pendulum will swing.

Likes Borek, Silicon Waffle and dlgoff
  • #2,738
wolram said:
Bad girl :))
Me a good one!
I've never smoked one before. I've only observed how people smoke, and find it very entertaining.
I told my dad that I would want to try smoking his big cigar once I saw his but he bawled me out harshly in front of other uncles and aunts.

• #2,739
I've never had brain freeze.

I've had esophagus freeze but I don't think it's the same as brain freeze. Esophagus freeze is very uncomfortable but not especially painful. I understand brain freeze is painful.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,740
zoobyshoe said:
For years bacon was considered evil. Then, suddenly, it became the world's favorite food, and no one could be found who would mention its heart-clogging properties.

Now, however, it has been declared worse than ever. Not merely evil. Now bacon = cigarettes!http://all-that-is-interesting.com/bacon-cancer

Someone needs to let Susannah know about this.

Sizzling Longevity: World's Oldest Person Eats Bacon Daily

she has a sign that says, "Bacon makes everything better" hanging in her kitchen

She can eat all the bacon she wants

Ha ha!

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,741
lisab said:

I've had esophagus freeze but I don't think it's the same as brain freeze. Esophagus freeze is very uncomfortable but not especially painful. I understand brain freeze is painful.

My goodness, Lisab. Of all the first world problems, this is, as far as I can tell, one of the most prolific. I was convinced (or at least was until now) that brain freeze was a right of passage among all 1st world children. Drink a "slushie," "slurpie," Ice cream, frozen yogert or well, even as something as simple as "ice water" too quickly, and slightly belated pain known as brain freeze kicks in.

All as it takes is some sort of frozen drink ingested quite quickly. The drink cools the roof of the mouth, which is coincidentally not too far separated from brain stuff. The resulting pain is unmistakable.

Is this really less common that I thought?

Likes lisab
  • #2,743
wolram said:
I quit yesterday and i WANT A FAG:nb):nb)

Do you also want to smoke , or is this for the cuddle party(just kidding, careful what you ask for if you're in the U.S ;))?

Last edited:
  • #2,744
wolram said:
what a wonderful idea, just so the men do not want me to cuddle them.

Ditto. Not an "English cigar" cuddle party IOW.

• #2,745
lisab said:
Maybe it's the term "brain freeze" and not the scientific name "sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia" that you are familiar with?

563px-Gray778_Trigeminal.png

image compliments of wikipedia.org

Likes lisab
  • #2,746
Futility and stupidity (or senselessness) of violence - American killed in Palestinian attack was peace activist
http://news.yahoo.com/israeli-dies-wounds-oct-13-jerusalem-attack-093956719.html

• #2,747
dlgoff said:
Maybe it's the term "brain freeze" and not the scientific name "sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia" that you are familiar with?

563px-Gray778_Trigeminal.png

image compliments of wikipedia.org
What’s in a name? that which we call brain freeze

By any other name would
hurt as much

My apologies to Shakespeare :biggrin:

Likes Astronuc, collinsmark and dlgoff
  • #2,748
It really annoys me that whenever I have a conversation about the existence of god, my carefully thought out and articulated argument is retorted with some generic word salad like "some things are simply not meant to be understood". I know I should just drop it but it bothers me to no end.

• #2,749
Just watched Secrets of the Dead, which was about the medieval origin of belief in vampires. It's a worthwhile subject for that show, but the narration and commentary seemed geared toward a 12 year old mentality. The experts they interviewed seemed about as expert as high schoolers giving a book report. The info was pretty shallow.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,750
HomogenousCow said:
It really annoys me that whenever I have a conversation about the existence of god, my carefully thought out and articulated argument is retorted with some generic word salad like "some things are simply not meant to be understood". I know I should just drop it but it bothers me to no end.
Me too.

• #2,751
HomogenousCow said:

I had a "conversation" with a very religious coworker a while back (I should know better!). His argument: the very fact that atheists exist proves they're wrong about god.

*facepalm*

Likes OmCheeto
  • #2,752
You just need to finish their sentence for them. :devil:
HomogenousCow said:
some things are simply not meant to be understood"
- by religious people. Which is why they resort to religion.

lisab said:
I had a "conversation" with a very religious coworker a while back (I should know better!). His argument: the very fact that atheists exist proves they're wrong about god.

*facepalm*
So the fact that religious people exist means that they are wrong? :rolleyes:

• #2,753
lisab said:

*facepalm*
One day I asked one my religious coworkers if he believed in evolution yet. He said; "Only in your case".

I thought that was very funny.

Likes lisab and Silicon Waffle
  • #2,754

Likes dlgoff, Borg, Silicon Waffle and 1 other person
  • #2,755
Two products which I could never imagine they existed... I have been waiting for them all my life... must buy... must buy...

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cartoon-Fabric-Cloth-Anti-Dust-Air-Conditioner-TV-Set-Television-TV-Remote-Control-Cover-Case-Protective/32363706162.html
Fabric-Cloth-Anti-Dust-Air-Conditioner-TV-Set-Television-TV-Remote-Control-Cover-Case-Protective.jpg

Smart Bluetooth Fishing Floats Electric Light Night Balsa Bobbers Tackle Tools
EDIT: There's even a video demonstrating the Bluetooth Fishing Tool... :)

• #2,756
Tried that "Sounds of running water" to help me sleep, only made me go to pee like 30 times.

Likes lisab
  • #2,757
WWGD said:
Tried that "Sounds of running water" to help me sleep, only made me go to pee like 30 times.

There was a university close to where I used to live that had a beautiful library that was open extended hours. So convenient! I tried studying there a few times, but it was just too distracting -- there was a fountain in the middle of the building and you could here the tinkling no matter where you sat. Not conducive to deep thought :oldwink:.

• #2,758
Is this DaveC426913 on a pumpkin?
http://www.amusingtime.com/images/041/funny-pumpkin-face.jpg

• #2,759
jobyts said:
Is this DaveC426913 on a pumpkin?
http://www.amusingtime.com/images/041/funny-pumpkin-face.jpg
That is Dave ? Oh...oh...uhmm.

• #2,760
lisab said:
There was a university close to where I used to live that had a beautiful library that was open extended hours. So convenient! I tried studying there a few times, but it was just too distracting -- there was a fountain in the middle of the building and you could here the tinkling no matter where you sat. Not conducive to deep thought :oldwink:.
Bad idea of changing a format that works well: just peace and quiet, specially with the barage of noise and (over) stimulation in modern life.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,761
System Failure! Alabama Teacher of the Year (who is apparently qualified) is told she's unqualified [by officials of the Alabama Department of Education], resigns

Corgill has Class A and B certifications to teach primary school through third grade, according to certification records provided by The Alabama Department of Education. Corgill said she started this school year at Birmingham's Oliver Elementary School teaching second grade, but shortly after the semester began, she was moved to a fifth-grade classroom.
. . . .
But Corgill — a 2015 National Teacher of the Year finalist — holds National Board Certification to teach children ages 7 to 12, a group that would include most fifth-graders. That certification is valid until November 2020, according to the National Board Certification directory.
http://news.yahoo.com/alabama-teacher-told-shes-unqualified-resigns-125621939.html

I wonder if this is a case of unqualified bureaucrats deciding a qualified professional is unqualified - because they are incompetent, or they just have an agenda to demolish the educational system.

• #2,762
Seems like every week some guy with an eerily casual display portrait shows up here asking weird questions.

• #2,763
I always found the name " Big Foot" , whether describing a real being or not, strange. Is it really the feet that describe the (alleged) being?

• #2,764
I believe it was the footprints presented as evidence of the sasquatch that garnered its name.

• #2,765
Astronuc said:
System Failure! Alabama Teacher of the Year (who is apparently qualified) is told she's unqualified [by officials of the Alabama Department of Education], resigns

http://news.yahoo.com/alabama-teacher-told-shes-unqualified-resigns-125621939.html

I wonder if this is a case of unqualified bureaucrats deciding a qualified professional is unqualified - because they are incompetent, or they just have an agenda to demolish the educational system.
The agenda of bureaucrats is to perpetuate the bureaucracy. In pursuit of that, they often have the effect of a cancer, damaging and even killing the host organism, in this case the educational system.

Feynman has a story about a school curriculum committee he dealt with in his book, "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman." It was maddening. (It's part of the chapter called, "Judging Books by their Covers.")