Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #2,801
Ht4OE1F.jpg

Likes Lisa!, OmCheeto, Enigman and 5 others
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,802
If it was up to me, I would spring back the clock one hour every Sunday and then move it back forward Monday morning at around 1 p.m. One more hour to do nothing on Sundays and one less hour of work on Mondays.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,803
Wow, I just saw a preview on TV: they've made a movie of Phillip K. Dick's The Man in the High Castle.

It's set in an alternate reality where Germany and Japan won WWII. The defeated U.S. is divided between them, with the west being the Japanese sector and the East the German.

I really enjoyed the book back when I read it, and the preview looked pretty good.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,804
zoobyshoe said:
Wow, I just saw a preview on TV: they've made a movie of Phillip K. Dick's The Man in the High Castle.

It's set in an alternate reality where Germany and Japan won WWII. The defeated U.S. is divided between them, with the west being the Japanese sector and the East the German.

I really enjoyed the book back when I read it, and the preview looked pretty good.

I remember another book on the same topic: SS-GB by Len Deighton:

http://graemeshimmin.com/ss-gb-book-review/

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,805
WWGD said:
I remember another book on the same topic: SS-GB by Len Deighton:

http://graemeshimmin.com/ss-gb-book-review/
Bleh. He obviously copied Dick's idea and set it in England. Dick's book came out in 1962. SS-GB came out in 1978.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,806
Got an invitation to Thanksgiving dinner and Turducken will be on the menu. :woot:

Likes OmCheeto
  • #2,807
Borg said:
Got an invitation to Thanksgiving dinner and Turducken will be on the menu. :woot:
Good for you. But are people celebrating Thanksgiving Christian scientists ? :nb)

• #2,808
Borg said:
The name is very unfortunate. The dish, itself, as described by wiki, sounds like one of those really excessive recipes served to decadent royalty in nursery rhymes and Olde English stories; "4 and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie," sort of thing.

Sounds like the meal will be quite an experience.

• #2,809
zoobyshoe said:
Sounds like the meal will be quite an experience.
The chef is a very good cook so I would look forward too the meal no matter what. I haven't had it before but I'm sure that his turducken will be most excellent.

• #2,810
Borg said:
The chef is a very good cook so I would look forward too the meal no matter what. I haven't had it before but I'm sure that his turducken will be most excellent.
If you call a chef a cook you better watch out :D

• #2,811
nuuskur said:
If you call a chef a cook you better watch out :D
And more so if you call a chef a kook.

• #2,812
zoobyshoe said:
And more so if you call a chef a kook.

I would call Borg's chef friend a slacker... :oldwink:

The 3-Bird Turducken Has Nothing On This 17-Bird Royal Roast [NPR]

Like any good publisher, Grimod de la Reynière knew he needed to slide in some extra flair from time to time. And in 1807, he put out a recipe for rôti sans pareil, the roast without equal.

The daredevil-ish recipe calls for a tiny warbler stuffed in a bunting, inserted in a lark, squeezed in a thrush, thrown in a quail, inserted in a lapwing, introduced to a plover, piled into a partridge, wormed into a woodcock, shoehorned into a teal, kicked into a guinea fowl, rammed inside a duck, shoved into a chicken, jammed up in a pheasant, wedged deep inside a goose, logged into a turkey. And just when you think a 16-bird roast is probably enough, it's not. This meat sphere is finally crammed up into a Great Bustard, an Old World turkey-turned-wrapping paper, for this most epic of poultry meals.

ps. I googled "warbler", and found that the heaviest variety weighs about 3/4 of an ounce. De-feathered, gutted, and boned, I can't imagine anyone being able to find it, in the resulting ball of bird.

Likes Borg
  • #2,813
OmCheeto said:
[...]
Exact date and time! :nb) :wink:, that means I care!

• #2,814
Oh no, right on Evo's forum, I mistook the chewing gum box!

• #2,815
Interesting small seminar on Project Management. It seems the most effective project managers spend 21 % of time planning, 69% on executing, compared to an average of 11% and 82% respectively. Would be interesting to see if spending an even higher percentage of project time planning would lower % time executing, and if so, at what rate.

• #2,816
WWGD said:
Interesting small seminar on Project Management. It seems the most effective project managers spend 21 % of time planning, 69% on executing, compared to an average of 11% and 82% respectively. Would be interesting to see if spending an even higher percentage of project time planning would lower % time executing, and if so, at what rate.
Interesting issue. I have evolved to spend about 95% of my time planning and 5% executing.

It seems when I jump in and start executing before the plan is all worked out, I end up spending 200% of my time correcting.

• #2,818
A young hero - 11-Year-Old Boy Sacrifices Himself to Save His Little Sister’s Life
https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/11-year-old-sacrifices-himself-to-save-his-little-170958262.html
The third of seven children, La’Darious Wylie was protective of his siblings. The 11-year-old proved how much when he gave his life for his little sister Sha’Vonta, 7, as a car sped at them while they were waiting at their bus stop in Chester, S.C., at around 7:30 a.m. last Tuesday. Seeing the vehicle headed toward them, La’Darious lunged, pushed his sister out of the way, and received the full impact of the crash

• #2,820
zoobyshoe said:
Interesting issue. I have evolved to spend about 95% of my time planning and 5% executing.

It seems when I jump in and start executing before the plan is all worked out, I end up spending 200% of my time correcting.

It's an interesting abstraction and generalization of how to execute a project effectively. For obsessive people like me who want to save every second possible.

Last edited:
  • #2,821
Just saw the first ad: the new, resurrected X-Files will be premiering in January.

Likes edward, OmCheeto and Silicon Waffle
  • #2,822
zoobyshoe said:
Just saw the first ad: the new, resurrected X-Files will be premiering in January.
I have lost all faith in hollywood.

• #2,823
:nb)

• #2,824
Don't bite your nails. Biting nails is akin to doing drugs and..drugs are bad..mmkay?

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,825
Louisiana police arrest 2 officers in boy's shooting death
http://news.yahoo.com/louisiana-police-arrest-2-officers-boys-shooting-death-044855217.html

Col. Mike Edmonson, in a late-night press conference, gave few details of what exactly unfolded Tuesday night that led authorities to arrest the officers. But he made his disgust clear.
. . . .
Edmonson said Friday that the two officers are being booked on charges of second-degree murder and attempted second-degree murder in the shooting.
There were no weapons in the car, and it is unclear why the officers shot at the car.

It's still unclear what led police to pursue Few and what triggered the shooting. The parish coroner said earlier this week that the officers were serving a warrant on Few when he fled, but Edmonson later said he had no information about a warrant.
Very troubling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,828
WWGD said:
Well, then myself, most people I know are abnormal. Do you like your mom, brother, sister, etc?
Do you like to have sex with them?
I just don't feel the need to define people's sexuality via who they have sex with.
It's common for most people to conclude right then that someone is gay after they hear e.g the guy just had another man in the bathroom.
Straight men can have sex with straight men.

• #2,829
Silicon Waffle said:
I just don't feel the need to define people's sexuality via who they have sex with.
It's common for most people to conclude right then that someone is gay after they hear e.g the guy just had another man in the bathroom.
Straight men can have sex with straight men.
Well, outside of an extreme situation of being chronically depressed/drunk/in drugs etc. , why would a man have sex with a man if not out of attraction?
What's next, I don't define a murderer by the fact that s/he kills people? I don't call someone rich just because they have a lot of money? (Again, excluding exceptional cases). Post-modernism and Relativism on steroids.
How _do_ you define it then?

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,830
OmCheeto said:
I am being overwhelmed, by being in too many PF "Houston, we've got a problem here" threads at once.
I wonder how long it would be, if I cut and pasted comments, from one thread to the other, before anyone noticed.
hmmmm...

As is generally the case, when I become overwhelmed, I tend to focus on what are the most personally important things to be done.
I have been the "clean up woman" extraordinaire over the last few days.

Yup. I really cleaned up. :biggrin:

• #2,831
zoobyshoe said:

I was mistaken. This isn't a movie, it's an Amazon Original Series. There goes the book,

• #2,833
I just saw this wicked spooky thing in the sky and it gave me the willies.

I glanced up at a bright light, assuming it was a plane at first, but then this cloud of "gas" spread out from it, as if it were something quietly exploding, just outside the atmosphere. As the gas cloud got larger, the thought crossed my mind that it might be a comet on a collision course with earth.

The bright light at the center eventually got dimmer and seemed to be moving "away" rather than down, but there was a blue-green glow left in it's wake.

If I don't post tomorrow, you'll know I succumbed to this secret foreign weapon, or whatever it was.

• #2,834
Screen shot 2015-11-07 at 9.38.45 PM.png
zoobyshoe said:
I just saw this wicked spooky thing in the sky and it gave me the willies.

I glanced up at a bright light, assuming it was a plane at first, but then this cloud of "gas" spread out from it, as if it were something quietly exploding, just outside the atmosphere. As the gas cloud got larger, the thought crossed my mind that it might be a comet on a collision course with earth.

The bright light at the center eventually got dimmer and seemed to be moving "away" rather than down, but there was a blue-green glow left in it's wake.

If I don't post tomorrow, you'll know I succumbed to this secret foreign weapon, or whatever it was.
Apparently it was a trident missile:
http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-84964201/

https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/ufo?source=whfrt&position=2&trqid=6214651587791926069

Last edited:
Likes Silicon Waffle