What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 753K views
ergospherical said:
Professor blowtorched the near side 10 seconds before the student walked in? :oldconfused:
Almost. He had turned the pot.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Frabjous and ergospherical
Physics news on Phys.org
Another one was:

Professor: "Please explain the functions of a distribution board!"
Student: "I don't know, my mom never let me near it."

It has been told that he got away with it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ergospherical
fresh_42 said:
Almost. He had turned the pot.
Isn't pot legal in Germany?
 
WWGD said:
Merging songs: Eye of the Tiger in the Sky?

Here are two that I always wanted to merge in my memory

All we are is dust blowing in the wind.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
Ivan Seeking said:
Here are two that I always wanted to merge in my memory

All we are is dust blowing in the wind.
Halo , Say Lo Mein, Say Lo Mein. (Fiancee)
 
Last edited:
Yes, I did have to flush the toilet, turn on heating, AC, ceiling fan before figuring out how to turn the fawcett on.
 
I am starting to mix up RT with Lame Jokes. My posts are very similar in both forums.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron and Evo
Speaking of flushing the toilet, my little and sister and I, on our first trip to France, after finding out that public bathrooms were just a hole in the floor, and toilets on the train were just a seat above a hole in the bottom of the train where you could watch the tracks go by under you. We were at my aunt's home and had to go to the bathroom, the first room had a toilet without a seat, we fiddled with it ARRGGH!, ok, not a toilet, it was the bidet.

Moving on, they must have a toilet, we found another door, AHA! A toilet, we went, but HOW DO YOU FLUSH IT? I look up above, no cord to pull, no foot pedal near the floor, no handle to push. Wait, there is a round knob in the middle of the tank. What on earth? I turn it, nothing, I press it, nothing, finally I pull it up and VOILA!

Don't ask about our adventures in bathing as we crossed the country.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Klystron, collinsmark, Ivan Seeking and 1 other person
Evo said:
Speaking of flushing the toilet, my little and sister and I, on our first trip to France, after finding out that public bathrooms were just a hole in the floor, and toilets on the train were just a seat above a hole in the bottom of the train where you could watch the tracks go by under you. We were at my aunt's home and had to go to the bathroom, the first room had a toilet without a seat, we fiddled with it ARRGGH!, ok, not a toilet, it was the bidet.

Moving on, they must have a toilet, we found another door, AHA! A toilet, we went, but HOW DO YOU FLUSH IT? I look up above, no cord to pull, no foot pedal near the floor, no handle to push. Wait, there is a round knob in the middle of the tank. What on earth? I turn it, nothing, I press it, nothing, finally I pull it up and VOILA!

Don't ask about our adventures in bathing as we crossed the country.
Same in Russia, although this story about France is probably an older one. I have had far more problems with American toilets. I never knew how to avoid bathing my you know what. It was more of an automatic bidet than it was a toilet. The nearest lake would have been quite as good.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Evo
Evo said:
Moving on, they must have a toilet, we found another door, AHA! A toilet, we went, but HOW DO YOU FLUSH IT? I look up above, no cord to pull, no foot pedal near the floor, no handle to push. Wait, there is a round knob in the middle of the tank. What on earth? I turn it, nothing, I press it, nothing, finally I pull it up and VOILA!
LOL! I was in a public restroom in The Netherlands and found myself in a similar dilemma. There was writing on the toilet but I didn't understand the words [I know some German but almost no Dutch]. Finally I realized that the only possibility was a pipe going from the toilet to the tank above. So I grabbed the pipe and pushed it up...AHA!
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Evo
Ivan Seeking said:
LOL! I was in a public restroom in The Netherlands and found myself in a similar dilemma. There was writing on the toilet but I didn't understand the words [I know some German but almost no Dutch]. Finally I realized that the only possibility was a pipe going from the toilet to the tank above. So I grabbed the pipe and pushed it up...AHA!
Now that, even I may have been in tears before I figured out that one. What's with all of these crazy toilets. Now I'm used to the self flushing public toilets. I guess I shouldn't assume these will be the case on my trip this fall.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking
Evo said:
Now that, even I may have been in tears before I figured out that one. What's with all of these crazy toilets. Now I'm used to the self flushing public toilets.
So you would flush before you could flush?

Yes, it throws me if I have to turn on a faucet or flush a toilet now. And that is making life at home very uncomfortable.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Evo
Holy Moly! My next car. I was hoping for a suborbital flight but this looks faster

1,727 horsepower and an incredible 2,581 lb-ft of torque.
$1,700,000
https://carbuzz.com/cars/koenigsegg/gemera
1626746501628.png
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: Evo
fresh_42 said:
Where you're going to?
My youngest daughter is taking me through a tour of the Castles and ancient ruins of Scotland! Something I have always wanted. We will see the little fluffy coos https://whatboundariestravel.com/haggis-and-hairy-coos-a-scottish-language-lesson/ the famous cliffs and go to remote isles, we're staying at all of the famous castles.

AND I must see these moonwalking ponies!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary and collinsmark
Ivan Seeking said:
Holy Moly! My next car. I was hoping for a suborbital flight but this looks faster

1,727 horsepower and an incredible 2,581 lb-ft of torque.
$1,700,000
https://carbuzz.com/cars/koenigsegg/gemera
View attachment 286237
I remember that rich guy that got that super expensive one of a kind car, took it out and crashed it first thing. How can a car cost that much?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
Evo said:
:wink: My youngest daughter is taking me through a tour of the Castles and ancient ruins of Scotland! Something I have always wanted. We will see the little fluffy coos https://whatboundariestravel.com/haggis-and-hairy-coos-a-scottish-language-lesson/ the famous cliffs and go to remote isles, we're staying at all of the famous castles.

AND I must see these moonwalking ponies!

The ponies are funny, and maybe you get a shot of Nessie, but Haggis and fried Mars bars? Good that they sell sandwiches everywhere, so you'll always have a safe alternative. :wink:
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Evo
Ivan Seeking said:
LOL! I was in a public restroom in The Netherlands and found myself in a similar dilemma. There was writing on the toilet but I didn't understand the words [I know some German but almost no Dutch]. Finally I realized that the only possibility was a pipe going from the toilet to the tank above. So I grabbed the pipe and pushed it up...AHA!
Maybe words were written in Luxemburger ( and a bird was nearby)? ;).
 
I was sad by the launch today. To much talking by the commentators.
 
Gak! Despite doing tech stuff and enjoying it, it's not always fun in other fields. Like when asking for Apostilles. Is it necessary to provide the original, etc.
 
WWGD said:
Apostilles
Apostilles? Half loyal follower of Jesus, half mythic Greek hero?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Vanadium 50
Fla
Ibix said:
Apostilles? Half loyal follower of Jesus, half mythic Greek hero?
ky pastry filled with cheese and spinach. No, just the international equivalent of a notarized document. If you want to provide government of country B with official documents from country A, someone in country A must certify the autheticity of the document to a 3rd party. That's what apostilles are for. Since government in country B cannot detect if document is forged/copied. For example, a birth certificate issued in Greece to be presented to, e.g., the Japanese government, must be apostilled in Greece. Or you must send the cheese pastry ;).
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Evo
Ibix said:
The internet tells me it's a kind of internationally recognised notarisation. TIL...
Sorry to tell you but you will likely run into it offen dealing with the EU from now on.
 
If your last name is Steele, maybe 'Robin' is not the best name for a daughter ( Rob and Steal).