What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 754K views
Psinter said:
Let's start the training. My coach is this cat:
%3A%2F%2Fthemockdock.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F04%2Ffunny-gif-kitty-exercising-push-up.png


undefined
That's funny! :DD
Psinter said:
Psinter's Mission Number 34: Capture a baby chicken to touch it.
Please tell me some of your other missions :biggrin:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Psinter
Physics news on Phys.org
Psinter said:
I must admit it was comical. If I see someone else chased by a bird I would probably laugh too. :oldlaugh:
I grew up in a small rural town and my first summer job when I was a kid was collecting eggs at a local egg farm. For six hours a day I walked through this huge three story chicken barn surrounded by a huge mass of chickens who all wanted to kill me. They pecked relentlessly at my legs and by the end of the day I had no feeling left in them. It was a surreal experience.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Psinter, Borg and Sophia
Psinter said:
:wideeyed: How did you guess? Man, she got all hysterical about it. I was definitely not expecting that reaction. It was just so sudden that I got scared for a while there and made a run for it. I was like: "Ahhh, what the?... What's this reaction?! What do... What the..." *while running*

Afterwards, I tried to sneak, but she went nuts about it again and I couldn't get closer. I think she was overreacting :oldgrumpy:. I wasn't going to hurt them, I just wanted to touch them. :sorry:. :frown:

I guess unlike Colonel Sanders, you don't do chicken right.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Psinter
Kind of a fun day. I was walking and thinking about an old joke and, without notice, I started smiling. I noticed this after people walking opposite my direction started smiling back, thinking I was smiling at them.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Sophia, beamie564 and ProfuselyQuarky
WWGD said:
Kind of a fun day. I was walking and thinking about an old joke and, without notice, I started smiling. I noticed this after people walking opposite my direction started smiling back, thinking I was smiling at them.
I've often speculated it's not all visual, includes some sort of "vibes" that' are sensed subliminally .
You were after all in a happy frame of mind.
 
jim hardy said:
I've often speculated it's not all visual, includes some sort of "vibes" that' are sensed subliminally .
You were after all in a happy frame of mind.
Could be, I have noticed something similar a few times. Weirdly, if you just choose to smile for a while, it seems you start actually feeling happier, maybe somehow "resonating with happiness" . And it seems memory is also mood-specific in that when you are happy, you tend to remember other happy experiences. Still, seems like a recipe for disaster , or at least difficulties, if/when you are depressed.
 
WWGD said:
And it seems memory is also mood-specific in that when you are happy, you tend to remember other happy experiences.
The psychiatric community now calls that, "Emotional Google": you automatically call up memories that are similar in mood to the one you're currently in.
 
zoobyshoe said:
The psychiatric community now calls that, "Emotional Google": you automatically call up memories that are similar in mood to the one you're currently in.
Doesn't bode well for depressed people --- depressive feedback loop
 
WWGD said:
Doesn't bode well for depressed people --- depressive feedback loop
Exactly. Things that aren't relevant to your current mood get filtered out. Confirmation bias, "I can't remember a time when I wasn't depressed."
 
zoobyshoe said:
The psychiatric community now calls that, "Emotional Google"...
Incidentally, I just made this up.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1oldman2
zoobyshoe said:
Incidentally, I just made this up.
Hey, my post on resonance of emotions is ## science lite^{\infty} ##
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: zoobyshoe
My post about being hounded by murderous chickens was true, though. I was taking their eggs.
 
Borek said:
Unless the bird is a cassowary.

http://pickle.nine.com.au/2016/04/11/09/44/fatal-cassowary-attack

(Yes, 90 years ago, but attacks do happen even today now and then, they are just not fatal.)
:wideeyed: Wow. What an ugly chicken. I mean, bird.
Aniruddha@94 said:
Please tell me some of your other missions :biggrin:
For the record they are classified. Maybe in the future they will get unclassified. :biggrin:
zoobyshoe said:
I grew up in a small rural town and my first summer job when I was a kid was collecting eggs at a local egg farm. For six hours a day I walked through this huge three story chicken barn surrounded by a huge mass of chickens who all wanted to kill me. They pecked relentlessly at my legs and by the end of the day I had no feeling left in them. It was a surreal experience.
Poor zooby! I hope the salary was good and that your legs recovered. That was Chicken Siege.
dictionary's definition of siege - a military operation in which enemy forces surround a town or building, cutting off essential supplies, with the aim of compelling the surrender of those inside.

my definition of siege - a relentless and vicious attack.
Surrender zooby, surrender! :biggrin: Chicken used peck...

Here is someone else (very famous, a classic in the game industry) being chased by chickens:
http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Link-Being-Chased-By-a-Bunch-Of-Powerful-Berserk-Cucco-Chickens-In-The-Legend-Of-Zelda-Majoras-Mask.gif

And here too. That's why you don't mess with that Village.
WWGD said:
I guess unlike Colonel Sanders, you don't do chicken right.
:oldlaugh: You are telling me.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: beamie564 and Pepper Mint
Clean one's wind instruments occasionally.

He withered away for 7 years. Doctors didn’t realize his passion was killing him.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rs-didnt-realize-his-passion-was-killing-him/

An X-ray suggested pneumonia, a blood clot in the lungs or an exacerbation of the still mysterious HP. A CT scan ruled out a clot but showed that the lung scarring that had started seven years earlier had gotten worse.

Doctors gave him a cocktail of drugs to treat what they thought was bacterial pneumonia. When those didn’t work, they added Posaconazole therapy, used to treat pneumonia caused by fungi.

Despite their efforts, the man died on Oct. 10, 2014.

According to the paper, when doctors initially tried diagnosing the man’s illness, they overlooked his daily hobby: playing the bagpipes.

Tests conducted on the man’s bagpipes found a slew of fungi and yeast living inside the musical instrument.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Sophia
I have software with a loophole, things going into it never come out. :H
 
Pepper Mint said:
things going into it never come out. :H

I have a garage that's like that.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42, Ibix, WWGD and 2 others
Just read on the news ticker of a news channel:

He, who must not be named triggered a measles alert in Japan. :biggrin:

There are no better jokes than those written by real life.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1oldman2 and Pepper Mint
This one Canadian who tries singing and is sent abroad on a regular basis for even the Canadians don't want to have him around.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Pepper Mint
Bystander said:
Oh ... Him.
What annoys me the most is, that he ruins my prejudices as I really like Shania Twain and Brian Adams.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1oldman2 and Pepper Mint
I'm watching "13 days" on NatGeo and they said that the nuclear bombs in Cuba can hit everywhere in the USA but Seattle, but now I'm hearing that the North Korea nuclear bombs can't hit anywhere in the USA but Seattle. In live in Seattle. Should I stay or should I go now? :nb)
 
DiracPool said:
I'm watching "13 days" on NatGeo and they said that the nuclear bombs in Cuba can hit everywhere in the USA but Seattle, but now I'm hearing that the North Korea nuclear bombs can't hit anywhere in the USA but Seattle. In live in Seattle. Should I stay or should I go now? :nb)
Seems strange, I can't tell anything particular to the NW that would make it so hard for Seattle to be hit.
 
I wasted a break I got. I won a whole broiled chicken at the supermarket, as part of customer appreciation day (at a place I barely go to, since it is expensive). I did eat around 2/3 the chicken. I saved the rest for the following day, but then left it in my backpack overnight, only to find it moldy in the morning when I was about to eat it. What a waste, I became a representative of the statistic that 1/3 of all fod produced ( in the US, I think) goes bad and it is then thrown out.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Sophia
Astronuc said:
Clean one's wind instruments [bagpipes] occasionally.
I always suspected something seriously dodgy about bagpipes, and not just the sound. :confused:
 
WWGD said:
I wasted a break I got. I won a whole broiled chicken at the supermarket, as part of customer appreciation day (at a place I barely go to, since it is expensive). I did eat around 2/3 the chicken. I saved the rest for the following day, but then left it in my backpack overnight, only to find it moldy in the morning when I was about to eat it. What a waste, I became a representative of the statistic that 1/3 of all fod produced ( in the US, I think) goes bad and it is then thrown out.
Ewwww. it shouldn't go bad overnight! That means it was already rotting when you ate it!
 
Evo said:
Ewwww. it shouldn't go bad overnight! That means it was already rotting when you ate it!
I don't know what mold grown on chicken, but fruit can be good one day and have mold on it the next when you don't put it in the fridge.