What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 750K views
OmCheeto said:
100%, if you're hungry, et al.

"When a person is hungry, angry, loney, or tired, the percentage rockets up to 100% of the time." [ref]​

Why I try to never shop on an empty stomach. Ehr mehr gerd.
A reason as good as any for some world leaders to keep their peoply hungry, angry, lonely, and tired ... Why try to convince people logically when you can play at their emotions?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto
Physics news on Phys.org
I saw an MPPT charge controller extract 101W of a 100W rated monocrystaline solar panel. Either an error from the controller or the panel was sold as 100W when it could actually provide just a little bit more.
 
Posty McPostface said:
If somebody writes a book about the science of irrational thoughts, beliefs, and behavior, I'll buy it.
Here are excerpts from a quite informative book associated with the subject; as a free download.
<Moderator's note: link to copyrighted material removed>

[EDIT:]
It's from the book "The Authoritarian Specter" by Bob Altemeyer.
B. Altemeyer, The Authoritarian Specter (Harvard University Press, 1996)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0674053052/?tag=pfamazon01-20
or
http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674053052
(Pricey but you can probably find excerpts using the title in a search engine.)
[end EDIT]

I haven't read this one yet, but here is a later book by the same author, Bob Altemeyer; complete free download.
http://theauthoritarians.org/Downloads/TheAuthoritarians.pdf
 
Last edited:
Tom.G said:
Here are excerpts from a quite informative book associated with the subject; as a free download.
<Moderator's note: link to copyrighted material removed>

I haven't read this one yet, but here is a later book by the same author, Bob Altemeyer; complete free download.
http://theauthoritarians.org/Downloads/TheAuthoritarians.pdf
Unfortunately, the first link you gave appears to be copyrighted material. Maybe you can give a reference instead?
 
DrClaude said:
Maybe you can give a reference instead?
Edit to my previous post to replace a link to possibly copyrighted material. Thanks to @DrClaude for pointing this out.
 
Imagine living here and trying to explain where you live. :oldtongue:

This that or the other street.jpg


Yes, those are real street names.
 
Attachments
  • This that or the other street.jpg
    This that or the other street.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 732
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DrClaude, collinsmark, WWGD and 3 others
fresh_42 said:
And as always in life, it heavily depends on the point of view:
http://www.sciencealert.com/birds-i...e-rewriting-history-fire-use-firehawk-raptors
:)) Oh my! Oh my! Oh my! :nb)

They are the fallen Maiar! :woot: Get it?
Gandalf said:
I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, Flame of Udûn!
Flame Imperishable is the Secret Fire. Flame of Anor is still an obscure reference. Flame of Udûn refers to the fallen Maiar (Balrogs).

Udûn
is sindarin for Utumno (Morgoth's dark fortress). Gandalf is pretty much calling the Balrog: Flame of Utumno as they gathered there at first to serve Morgoth. I suppose he tells it: "The dark fire will not avail you" because the fallen Maiar covered themselves with shadows and flames.

Sources:
http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Balrogs
http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/u/udun.html

When I saw the birds all of that came to mind. The dark fire will not avail you! :biggrin: I got the LOTR hype now.
___________________________________________________

All of which at the same time randomly reminds me that at my country, adults (mostly females) call misbehaving small kids: "Spawns from hell." or "Spawns of the devil!" They say: "Hey! Get back here you spawn from the devil!" or "Get back here you hellish spawn!"
 
Borg said:
I guess having some of the most poisonous animals on the face of the Earth wasn't enough. :olduhh:
Too bad we can't figure out who taught whom some 40,000 years ago!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Borg
Borg said:
Imagine living here and trying to explain where you live. :oldtongue:

View attachment 218283

Yes, those are real street names.
No need to explain where they live. It is actually a store that sells 'Dese and Dose'
I actually once went to an Office Depot, and this guy was asking to buy batteries. He asks the clerk for batteries. The clerk replies: D's ( D batteries)? . The guy replies: No, Dose ( These, Those).
 
Psinter said:
I saw an MPPT charge controller extract 101W of a 100W rated monocrystaline solar panel. Either an error from the controller or the panel was sold as 100W when it could actually provide just a little bit more.
I've heard rumour that all solar panels can generate more power, when new, than they are rated for. I believe it has to do with the warranty.

Also, power ratings are sometimes "funny", as they can be hacked.

somewhere in the past I said:
He ended the paper with some research he had performed where he was able to take a 3.5hp engine, modify it somehow, and generate ~45 hp, at which point it blew up.
[ref]
 
OmCheeto said:
I've heard rumour that all solar panels can generate more power, when new, than they are rated for. I believe it has to do with the warranty.
I don't know about solar panels, but I do know that professionally rated fluorescent bulbs used in UV sterilizers for fish water systems are often rated in Watts a lower value than their initial brightness.
Over their 6 to 12 month lifespan, their UV drops quite a bit, but they are wanted to meet their specs at the end of their lifespan before they are replaced (periodically).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto
OMG, I just looked out of my window as two squirrels started, uhm, "making love". At least I am hoping it was consensual. :wideeyed: Gasp, now there are two squirrels chasing the one that was being humped. And it's snowing. I guess that's one way of warming up. :eek:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Psinter and collinsmark
Evo said:
OMG, I just looked out of my window as two squirrels started, uhm, "making love". At least I am hoping it was consensual. :wideeyed: Gasp, now there are two squirrels chasing the one that was being humped. And it's snowing. I guess that's one way of warming up. :eek:
I once saw two brown bears ”getting busy” at the zoo with tens of kids around - and the other female in the next enclosure taking care of her cubs by the same father! A lot of parents were teying their best to answer the inevitible question ”mommy, daddy, what are they doing?”
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Evo
Orodruin said:
I once saw two brown bears ”getting busy” at the zoo with tens of kids around - and the other female in the next enclosure taking care of her cubs by the same father! A lot of parents were trying their best to answer the inevitible question ”mommy, daddy, what are they doing?”
Oh dear.
I had a really bad day I'll never forget, it started that morning with birds mating, and I did actually go to the zoo that day and witnessed two giant tortoises mating, all animals were mating. There weren't two animals that weren't.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
Evo said:
Oh dear.
I had a really bad day I'll never forget, it started that morning with birds mating, and I did actually go to the zoo that day and witnessed two giant tortoises mating, all animals were mating. There weren't two animals that weren't.
Did they have Barry White music piped in the background? Marvin Gaye? ;).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Evo
Evo said:
Oh dear.
You mean "Oh! Bear!" :biggrin:

Evo said:
There weren't two animals that weren't.
Maybe they had learned that the world was ending and made the best of it?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Evo
Orodruin said:
You mean "Oh! Bear!" :biggrin:Maybe they had learned that the world was ending and made the best of it?
They're getting vibes from Kim Jong Un, and Trump pissing him off? Maybe we should all get in on it?;). I think I will wait till I get home, tho.
 
Evo said:
OMG, I just looked out of my window as two squirrels started, uhm, "making love". At least I am hoping it was consensual. :wideeyed: Gasp, now there are two squirrels chasing the one that was being humped. And it's snowing. I guess that's one way of warming up. :eek:
LOL, that reminds me on an occasion with my then-five-year-old-temporary daughter, as she watched two sparrows on the porch in spring and said: "Look, fresh, one sparrow is sitting on the other one!" I have been lucky, she thought this was a kind of game and didn't ask why.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Evo
Evo said:
... There weren't two animals that weren't.
That kind of implies that you were the only one who wasn't "getting any".
I can relate. :oldcry:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Evo
fresh_42 said:
LOL, that reminds me on an occasion with my then-five-year-old-temporary daughter, as she watched two sparrows on the porch in spring and said: "Look, fresh, one sparrow is sitting on the other one!" I have been lucky, she thought this was a kind of game and didn't ask why.
But, are the animals nowadays then disoriented, thinking it is Spring already ( when this happens more often)? What is a temporary daughter?
 
Rant: Some companies have these automatic renewals built into their practices. " Since you did not tell us, we automatically renewed the charges". I will head towards the CEO, punch them in the face, and, if they get upset, I will just say: " You never explicitly stated you did not want to be punched in the face, so I thought it would be Ok with you"?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Borg, jim hardy and fresh_42
WWGD said:
What is a temporary daughter?
I'm at an age for a while now, when potential girlfriends have already children on their own, meanwhile grown up children, then little children. If I summarize, I've had temporary children of age 4-21 of both genders. Modern times.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Orodruin said:
A lot of parents were teying their best to answer the inevitible question ”mommy, daddy, what are they doing?”
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DrClaude
WWGD said:
Did they have Barry White music piped in the background? Marvin Gaye? ;).
D***, I'm old, I associated Bo Derek and Ravel's Bolero.
 
fresh_42 said:
D***, I'm old, I associated Bo Derek and Ravel's Bolero.
I was ripping off a Simpson's episode.
 
fresh_42 said:
D***, I'm old, I associated Bo Derek and Ravel's Bolero.
Ever try 1812 Overture ?
 
Strange pricing at breakfast place: Bacon Egg and Cheese sandwich: $5.95

Platter with : Bacon, Eggs, Cheese + Potatoes + Buttered Toast+ Coffee: $5.50 .

??
 
Last edited: