Random Thoughts part 6

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Doesn't the TEE take you to Doner?
Not anymore. It rather takes a walk nowadays. I'm not sure whether the TEE ever made it to Istanbul, but I had preferred this one anyway.

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Doesn't the TEE take you to Doner?
Btw. Yes, Döner have been invented by a Turk, Kadir Nurman. However, he lived in Berlin, so no trans europe express would have been needed.

The story is funny and tells something about cultures. The dish itself is old, and Nurman had opened a restaurant in Berlin, offering Turkish dishes. But he had no guests. Everybody was running by. To run in contrast to have a meal and two hours time in east Anatolia. So he simply thought: If the Germans do not have time to sit down and eat during their lunch break, I'll put my dishes in a pocket of flatbread and make it an "on-the-run".

At least this is the most popular version. You bet that several others also claim their versions.

Edit: An American student got so used to eat Döner when studying in Berlin, that he opened a Döner stand when back in Seattle. As the poor guy wasn't allowed to import the meat he experimented almost two years to reproduce the right mixture, consistency, and spices. When he finally got it, his business flourished. I hadn't a moment of doubt. It is like made for Americans, too: meat, salad in an eatable pocket and made in minutes. And honestly? It is better food than any burger, considering the nutritions.

Last edited:

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
If his name is Alfred Nurman, or , even better Alfred E Nurman, please srend me one.

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
As a Math person, it hurts me deeply that apartment 1B is not just called apartment B. No units in ring of apartments? There is torsion, because if there are k stories in the complex then (k+1)B =0, because there is no (k+1)St floor. But no unity!

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
One possibility, ##1## isn't a unit.

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Firefox update @#$% wiped out all my bookmarks. Will have to export them/save them from time-to-time from now on.

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Isn't software wonderful? Ready to join the Luddites?
Right. We take x steps forward, y backwards and we hope that x>y. Not quite sure it's true. EDIT: I, and I am sure many others, had ignored the repeated warnings on blackboxing technology to the degree that we had, that it would increase complexity to the point of implosion. Maybe the day is here.

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
My Ethiopian friend is highly Selassie.

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member

Klystron

Gold Member
I know her brother, Timothy. Friends call him Timmy Selassie.

[Edit: From "Lassie, Come Home". Timmy's father, "Lassie, have you seen Timmy?]

Last edited:

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Second person I run into whose name is (literally) 'Unique'. But I don't know how to speak 'meta', so I can't say , in speak: Are you unique(noun) or 'Unique'(name). So if you run into the two 'Unique' together: " So you are unique? You too?

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Weird how one here in PF may report one's own post.

collinsmark

Homework Helper
Gold Member
I think I've done that before, on purpose, for some reason or another (I don't remember the details).

Hitting the report button is a good way to get the mentors' attention on a subject, if you need their input or guidance, even if no bad behavior is necessarily involved.

Ibix

Science Advisor
Insights Author
I reported my own post once. I was aware I was riding the edge of civility with a (to my mind) particularly clueless and lazy poster. So I posted something that I felt was just the right side of the line and reported it, acknowledging that my judgement might be slightly skewed.

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I reported my own post once. I was aware I was riding the edge of civility with a (to my mind) particularly clueless and lazy poster. So I posted something that I felt was just the right side of the line and reported it, acknowledging that my judgement might be slightly skewed.
Ah, I've been there myself a few times. Now I know, independently of What Gauss Would Do ;).

I saw a quite funny interview with Gal Gadot, who played Wonder Woman. She said in the interview (clip here) that she was talking quantum physics with a physics professor :biggrin: when she got the news that she had got the role, and he didn't understand why she got so excited because she couldn't tell anybody about the news. Personally I didn't enjoy Wonder Woman very much as a movie, but I like Gadot's personality.

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I saw a quite funny interview with Gal Gadot, who played Wonder Woman. She said in the interview (clip here) that she was talking quantum physics with a physics professor :biggrin: when she got the news that she had got the role, and he didn't understand why she got so excited because she couldn't tell anybody about the news. Personally I didn't enjoy Wonder Woman very much as a movie, but I like Gadot's personality.
Maybe the prof. will think she has the hots for him. Her brother is Guy Gadot, I think an actor too. EDIT: I mean, I assume; if she's the Gal, her brother is the Guy.

Last edited:

Borg

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Happy Palindrome Week.
:partytime:

9-10-19 (91019)
9-11-19 (91119)
9-12-19 (91219)
9-13-19 (91319)
9-14-19 (91419)
9-15-19 (91519)