What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 753K views
I was tired when I suggested the solution to Middle East violence is to put an ATM in the West Bank. Puzzled looks in reply.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ZaQWOwYNJa3lfLKI2A6HjjbhJTQ&_nc_ht=scontent-frt3-1.jpg


... has strange side effects. I invented a new class of Lie algebras ...
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: nuuskur
I keep having these trivial psychic guesses: Chickens will be on sale at the market. Checks out. I pick up my order from take out and I sense they forgot something. It checks out. I will meet someone today who will talk to me about the Beattles. Check. But never anything useful like the direction of the market or who will win the game so I can bet. What a waste.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
When this Covid 19 mess has cleared up, I'm going straight to Thailand.

I haven't been yet. I just want the sunshine and the Thai street food.

Can't wait.
 
I have found 5 new conjectures. Now I need a book with a reasonably wide margin ...
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron and nuuskur
Guess the latest surprise from auto(in)correct: " The onus of the action.."Seems like AI still has got some way to go.
 
fresh_42 said:
Whom did you want to write anus?
Lucky guess. Questions apparently have them too.
 
Wow, I heard some of the Chess masters may lose up to 6-8 pounds when playing particularly-intense tournaments.
 
Kortchnoi once said in an interview, that he loses up to 10 pounds. It's professional sports. The only difference is that the brain is used, not the lung.
 
fresh_42 said:
Kortchnoi once said in an interview, that he loses up to 10 pounds. It's professional sports. The only difference is that the brain is used, not the lung.
I used to think it wasa joke when they called it sports. I imagined two people playing while eating sandwiches and cake.
 
I keep seeing these ads for methods to get rid of rodents that consist of emitting waves of a specific frequency to annoy the rodents enough to have them leave a house or apartment. Wonder if they have thought, or care, that they are most likely moving the problem to a neighbor.
 
Last edited:
Reminds me an episode in Garfield and friends. Garfield bought a 'laser powered elephant repellant' and Jon protested that there's not an elephant within a thousand miles from where they were, so they wouldn't need it. But the salesman replied 'see, how well it works?'
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
Wow, no joke: Canadian lady arrested wearing a Star Wars costume a few days ago on a " May the Fourth be with you" promotion. Policed shouting her to kneel but she was wearing a suit that did not allow her to.
 
WWGD said:
Wow, no joke: Canadian lady arrested wearing a Star Wars costume a few days ago on a " May the Fourth be with you" promotion. Policed shouting her to kneel but she was wearing a suit that did not allow her to.
May I ask for the city?
 
fresh_42 said:
May I ask for the city?
I don't own the city, other wise I'd give it to you.
 
fresh_42 said:
May I ask for the city?
Lethbridge , Alberta. Are you considering suing?
 
WWGD said:
Lethbridge , Alberta. Are you considering suing?
No. I considered another case, but it's hard to gather evidence and witness reports from far. And I'm no lawyer, so I don't actually know how to proceed.
 
WWGD said:
Lethbridge , Alberta.
Sounds like the middle of nowhere. Guess there wasn't much else to do.
 
fresh_42 said:
No. I considered another case, but it's hard to gather evidence and witness reports from far. And I'm no lawyer, so I don't actually know how to proceed.
Maybe you can ask Tiberius.
 
Hmm. It seems some of the old Indiana Jones movies are streaming on Netflix. I might just re-watch one of them tonight.

I keep getting reminded of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom with Facebook's new care emoji:

Facebook-care-emoji.jpg


Kali-Ma!

Kali-Ma!
 
fresh_42 said:
Whom did you want to write anus?
Reminds me of a speech Queen Elizabeth II gave a few years ago broadcast on BBC and Newshour. To emphasize the serious nature of her comments she reverted to Latin. In a shrill British accent her majesty intoned:

"This horrible year, truly my annus horribilis!"

I literally spewed my seltzer water across the table on to the remote control.

"What did she just say?", wiping furiously.

With her strong accent her Latin sounded like horrible anus. Stifled laughter can be heard in the background. I think she meant to say, "anno meum horribile".
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Don't know if it was a joke or made-up but this guy told me that, while at the hospital recently, he asked the doctor: What happens when we die? Doctor replied: " We clean the bed and give it to another patient". Interesting bedside manners.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron and Keith_McClary
Looking for a replacement battery for my hp. Seems absurd how they have thousands of models for their hp laptops. And battery codes are some 40+ terms alphanumerics.
 
WWGD said:
Looking for a replacement battery for my hp. Seems absurd how they have thousands of models for their hp laptops. And battery codes are some 40+ terms alphanumerics.
The costs for the battery are probably half the costs of a new laptap.
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
fresh_42 said:
The costs for the battery are probably half the costs of a new laptap.
Not quite. Some sell for $30-$50 each.
 
fresh_42 said:
I once looked for a replacement and they called $150, but that was 15 years ago or so.
If I had more $ , I would pay that to avoid the hassle of looking through 1000s of model+ alphanumeric strings with some 60 characters.
 
fresh_42 said:
The costs for the battery are probably half the costs of a new laptap.
An IT friend told me discount HP color inkjet printers cost about the same as ink replacement cartridges. When they exhaust the ink, they trade the used printer to a second-hand store for credit on cables, batteries, paper and other supplies. They buy a new printer from Walmart that also figures in their taxes as a business expense.

I checked the local store they use. New printers cost ~$30 USD. Replacement HP ink cartridges cost $45 USD. Perhaps the latter cartridges have more capacity (?) but the $40 wireless color printer I bought came with inkjet paper and latest HP software; also copies, sends and receives faxes and prints for every wireless device in my home office including laptop, TV, phone and digital cameras. Have yet to use up the ink.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Jonathan Scott
Klystron said:
An IT friend told me discount HP color inkjet printers cost about the same as ink replacement cartridges. When they exhaust the ink, they trade the used printer to a second-hand store for credit on cables, batteries, paper and other supplies. They buy a new printer from Walmart that also figures in their taxes as a business expense.

I checked the local store they use. New printers cost ~$30 USD. Replacement HP ink cartridges cost $45 USD. Perhaps the latter cartridges have more capacity (?) but the $40 wireless color printer I bought came with inkjet paper and latest HP software; also copies, sends and receives faxes and prints for every wireless device in my home office including laptop, TV, phone and digital cameras. Have yet to use up the ink.
Ink may end up drying up unless it includes some special ingredient. I would call my ink company Ink Inc, ( Wink!).
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Klystron