What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 751K views
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think @fresh_42 is going to like the approximation clock very much...

1592596542037.png
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jedishrfu, JD_PM and Ibix
Love the limit of large 8.

We had a reverse clock at university - its hands and numbers went anti-clockwise. It was a perfectly good clock, but incredibly easy to misread. Exclamations of "****! I'm late for lectures! No... wait... never mind" were very common at about ten to two...
 
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: etotheipi
Incidentally, what's the ##\chi## such that ##\cos\chi\approx 1##? I tried googling "chi constant", but it turns out to be a deceased woman in California.
 
Ibix said:
Incidentally, what's the ##\chi## such that ##\cos\chi\approx 1##? I tried googling "chi constant", but it turns out to be a deceased woman in California.

I think ##\chi## is just an arbitrary variable and it's using ##\cos{\chi} \approx 1 - \frac{1}{2}\chi^2 + \dots##
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
etotheipi said:
I think ##\chi## is just an arbitrary variable and it's using ##\cos{\chi} \approx 1 - \frac{1}{2}\chi^2 + \dots##
Surely it should be ##\cos(\epsilon)## then, no? Since ##\epsilon## is usually used to mean a small number.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: JD_PM and etotheipi
Ibix said:
Surely it should be ##\cos(\epsilon)## then, no? Since ##\epsilon## is usually used to mean a small number.

Probably... though I have the suspicion whoever made this doesn't care much for convention :wink:
 
And what's ##\varphi##? I was assuming the Golden Ratio, but that's about 1.6, so ##\varphi^3\approx 4##.

I do need a new clock, but I don't think I'll buy this one...
 
  • Like
  • Sad
Likes   Reactions: JD_PM, etotheipi and fresh_42
Ibix said:
And what's ##\varphi##? I was assuming the Golden Ratio, but that's about 1.6, so ##\varphi^3\approx 4##.

I do need a new clock, but I don't think I'll buy this one...
This one looks better:
1592599025728.jpeg
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: JD_PM, Ibix and etotheipi
Ibix said:
And what's ##\varphi##? I was assuming the Golden Ratio, but that's about 1.6, so ##\varphi^3\approx 4##.

I do need a new clock, but I don't think I'll buy this one...

You're being too logical 😁

Embrace the chaos: ##\varphi \approx 2 \implies \varphi^3 \approx 8##
 
Russell's paradox solved with Covid: If you don't shave yourself no one else will shave you. All barbershops are closed.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jedishrfu, fresh_42 and etotheipi
WWGD said:
Russell's paradox solved with Covid: If you don't shave yourself no one else will shave you. All barbershops are closed.

1592603272308.png
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
My ke yboard has kind of screwed up and three keys produce no output. I am thinking of may be creating a macro instead of just cutting and pasting the prolem keys in.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jedishrfu
WWGD said:
My ke yboard has kind of screwed up and three keys produce no output. I am thinking of may be creating a macro instead of just cutting and pasting the prolem keys in.
I did this as I lost my 1 and my e.
 
Ibix said:
...leaving you only ##\pi## and 0 to work with?
Since I found AutoHotKey I don't bother anything. But I slowly run out of free keys. Maybe the Windows key will work beside Alt and Ctrl. Would be the first time this stupid thing is actually good for something, but I haven't figured out yet how to address it in the script.

Best of all: I eliminated Shift Lock!
 
There is also , in Windows, an on-screen keyboard, a virtual keyboard that will pop up on your screen. You can access it by entering 'osk' on the search box.
 
WWGD said:
There is also , in Windows, an on-screen keyboard, a virtual keyboard that will pop up on your screen. You can access it by entering 'osk' on the search box.
...unless o, s, or k is one of the broken keys.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42 and WWGD
Ibix said:
...unless o, s, or k is one of the broken keys.
Good point. I think 'O' may be enough, maybe 'k'. I think you can use an external one .
 
Ibix said:
...unless o, s, or k is one of the broken keys.
You can find the On Screen Keyboard with a mouse (or track-pad or touchscreen). On Windows 10 it's on the Start Menu under "Windows Ease of Access".

And once you've found it, you can pin it (i.e. make a shortcut) somewhere more convenient.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
I can't find my files after the Indian festival "Dalit" . Coincidence?
 
A not quite serious quiz:
  1. Which number should be considered the beginning of mathematics?
    0
  2. Which real number is the most important for nature?
    e
  3. Which prime is the most mysterious?
    137
  4. Which angle is the most important to mankind?
    104.45°
Who gets the vector correct?
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: etotheipi
jedishrfu said:
1) square root of 2
2) pi
3) e
4) the right angle

Who gets the vector correct? A tensor.
0(4) :biggrin:
 
Indian festival 'Dalit' renamed 'Ctrl+ Alt+ Dalit' in Indian Tech sector.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jedishrfu
jedishrfu said:
I suspect though this bit of Indian humor is racist against Dalits.
I don't even know what Dalits are. Would be nice if non-Westerners mock some Western names that mean different things in their countries. I think many in the West mock themselves but I unserstand the current social , political climate has everyone on edge in this regard. Still, I don't see how I am mocking neither them nor their culture with my post.