What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 754K views
WWGD said:
Ink may end up drying up unless it includes some special ingredient. I would call my ink company Ink Inc, ( Wink!).
That sort of reminds me of Valve Corporation, but for the opposite reason.

For those who don't know, Valve Corporation is the software company that created/owns Steam (a place where many/most PC users get their games these days). They also created Half Life series, Portal series, Counter-Strike, Left-4-Dead, and other games.

Anyway, the official name of the company is "Valve Corporation." But it's not a corporation. "Corporation" is just part of the company's name. The company is actually a privately owned L.L.C.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org
collinsmark said:
That sort of reminds me of Valve Corporation, but for the opposite reason.

For those who don't know, Valve Corporation is the software company that created/owns Steam (a place where many/most PC users get their games these days). They also created Half Life series, Portal series, Counter-Strike, Left-4-Dead, and other games.

Anyway, the official name of the company is "Valve Corporation." But it's not a corporation. "Corporation" is just part of the company's name. The company is actually a privately owned L.L.C.
I heard of this company that named itself ' Going out of Business' and so they have 'Going out of Business ' sales. Seriously.
 
I always found this one puzzling:

"Where are you?"
"Waiting for the bus".
"Ik, hurry up then".
 
Never trust a lawyer that accepts coupons or talks about half-a-davids ( Affidavits).
 
Evo said:
YAY! I went to the grocery store yesterday (don't tell my daughter). I found toilet paper, paper towels, flour, rubbing alcohol, BUT that had been relabeled as HAND SANITIZER and a 98 cent bottle was selling for $8! It was just plain rubbing alcohol, nothing else, just a different label! That PISSED ME OFF. But I bought it, it was all they had. :( I may go after them for price gouging. Nice to see the shelves stocked again.
My oh my, shopping has been spotty at best. Metro Detroit has been hit hard and people still have a hoarding mentality. I just wanted to pop in and say hi. Hi 😆
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Borg and Evo
hypatia said:
My oh my, shopping has been spotty at best. Metro Detroit has been hit hard and people still have a hoarding mentality. I just wanted to pop in and say hi. Hi 😆
Welcome back! You are sorely missed!
 
A certain politician decided to " Cut all homeless people in half by 2025". Let's hope he doesn't.
 
This has got to be the worst mnemonic I've ever seen
1589298541840.png

This is known as triple product expansion... Its right hand side can be remembered by using the mnemonic "ACB − ABC", provided one keeps in mind which vectors are dotted together

Well thanks for that, Wikipedia.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
I have two chain and three cochain complexes, I even calculated the first three homology modules of each. Is there a mathematical journal for this?
 
fresh_42 said:
I have two chain and three cochain complexes, I even calculated the first three homology modules of each. Is there a mathematical journal for this?
Do papers on abstract nonsense have nonsensical abstracts?
 
fresh_42 said:
I have two chain and three cochain complexes, I even calculated the first three homology modules of each. Is there a mathematical journal for this?
The journal for Mathematicians with clean ( meaning chalk-free) pants. What it takes a Classical Mathematician two chalkboards takes a modern one a quarter of one with a bunch of arrows and diagrams.
 
WWGD said:
The journal for Mathematicians with clean ( meaning chalk-free) pants. What it takes a Classical Mathematician two chalkboards takes a modern one a quarter of one with a bunch of arrows and diagrams.
I had a professor who started to write at the most left edge of the big boards at university with his left hand until he came to the center where he changed hands and continued writing to the most right edge with his right ...

It was almost impossible to script the lectures.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
fresh_42 said:
I had a professor who started to write at the most left edge of the big boards at university with his left hand until he came to the center where he changed hands and continued writing to the most right edge with his right ...

It was almost impossible to script the lectures.
I had one that was scary. Once, after writing a full blackboard and erasing it, a student told him she had missed something. The prof wrote the notes again identically on the blackboard.
 
WWGD said:
I had one that was scary. Once, after writing a full blackboard and erasing it, a student told him she had missed something. The prof wrote the notes again identically on the blackboard.
Students of von Neumann coined the term: "proof by von Neumann" because he was so fast, that he had to start wiping before the students had a chance to write it down.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
etotheipi said:
mnemonic
Good place for a [citation needed].
 
Today, I'm making 2lbs of Chinese pork dumplings.

I'll eat a load and freeze the rest nom nom.
 
skyshrimp said:
Today, I'm making 2lbs of Chinese pork dumplings.

I'll eat a load and freeze the rest nom nom.
I never developed my skills beyond the very basic: eggs, rice, sauteeing. Too much good stuff out there that is reasonably-priced and tastier than I can reasonably can cook for myself.
 
WWGD said:
I never developed my skills beyond the very basic: eggs, rice, sauteeing. Too much good stuff out there that is reasonably-priced and tastier than I can reasonably can cook for myself.
There is always the 2-step-emergency-plan;
1.) If in doubt, add bacon.
2.) If still in doubt, cover it with cheese and bake it.
 
fresh_42 said:
There is always the 2-step-emergency-plan;
1.) If in doubt, add bacon.
2.) If still in doubt, cover it with cheese and bake it.
Bacon makes everything better. Now they even have it with chocolate. Notice no bacon-eating competitions. People would never stop eating.
 
etotheipi said:
?:)
I didn't think it was that bad. Still, a waste of sacred bacon.
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: etotheipi
Still waiting to see whether NK's Kim Jong Un is dead or alive.
 
Idiot sitting right ne t to me in park when there are plenty of empty benches within short distance.
 
I want to grow my own food but I can’t find bacon seeds.
 
  • Like
  • Sad
Likes   Reactions: WWGD and Keith_McClary
gmax137 said:
I want to grow my own food but I can’t find bacon seeds.
They are easier to find in Germany. They are hidden in our walls:
1589926983215.png
 
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: nuuskur
Too bad we don't have a playground forum. I have found a machine which eats the simplest of all non trivial Lie algebras and spits out the gauge groups of the standard model.
 
Ended up exhausted on a duscussion on whether 1=0.999... in the Surreals , Hyperreals and other models. I'm pretty far from having a full understanding of the topic.
 
WWGD said:
Ended up exhausted on a discussion on whether 1=0.999... in the Surreals , Hyperreals and other models. I'm pretty far from having a full understanding of the topic.
It is a crackpot discussion. There is no ambiguity as soon as notation has been properly defined. It's a debate for hobby calculators.

I just found this - looks a bit like the Scottish west coast:

middle_math.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Borg, etotheipi, DrGreg and 1 other person
fresh_42 said:
It is a crackpot discussion. There is no ambiguity as soon as notation has been properly defined. It's a debate for hobby calculators.

I just found this - looks a bit like the Scottish west coast:

View attachment 263255
No, there are actual issues if you work with Hyperreals or Surreals without the Archimedean property. True that it is settled within the standard Reals.
 
Seems kind of strange these people who describe themselves as _passionate_ something: Chess players, Mathematicians, etc. Is this a separate sexual thing or do they have " feelings" towards these activities, etc?