Range of a f(x) involving floor

• Thread starter SneakyArab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Range
In summary, the range of f(x) is (-6, 0) and this set of numbers is proven to be correct. The graphs of g(x) = 7*floor(x) and h(x) = floor(7x) are used to determine the possible values of f(x). The round symbol at the end of questions 4a and 4b indicates that the number is not rational. A classmate helped with the proof and the person expressing gratitude for the assistance.
SneakyArab

Homework Statement

I have to find the range of f(x) where:
f(x)=7*floor(x) - floor(7*x)
x is a real number.

Then I have to prove that this set of numbers is correct.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am still on the range part, and thus am only asking about that part at the moment. It seems to me that the range of f(x) would be (-infinity,+infinity). Is there a reason that it wouldn't be?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sketch the graphs of g(x) = 7*floor(x) and h(x) = floor(7x) on the same paper.

Ah yes, back to basics for me.

Ok so it seems that all possible values of f(x) are:
-6,-5,-4,-3,-2,-1,0;

thus range of f(x) = (-6,0).

Correct?

Last edited:
what does that round thing at the end of question #4 a and #4 b mean sneakyArab

discrete said:
what does that round thing at the end of question #4 a and #4 b mean sneakyArab

seems I've found a classmate.

I'm not sure if you mean the last symbol or next to last, so after the equation it reads:

"is not rational"

so its not a rational number.

I think I have a working proof on this one now. Thanks for getting me started Slider!

thanks man it looks all crazy i couldn't figure it out
good luck and thanks again

What is the range of a function involving the floor function?

The range of a function involving the floor function is the set of all possible output values that the function can produce. It is typically denoted as the set of numbers between the greatest integer less than or equal to the lowest output value and the lowest integer greater than or equal to the highest output value.

How do you find the range of a function involving the floor function?

To find the range of a function involving the floor function, you can graph the function and observe the vertical distance between the lowest and highest points on the graph. Alternatively, you can also use algebraic methods by setting the floor function equal to different values and solving for the input value, which will give you the corresponding output value.

What types of functions commonly involve the floor function?

The floor function is commonly used in piecewise-defined functions, as it allows for the function to have different output values for different intervals or domains. It is also commonly used in functions involving periodic or repeating patterns, such as trigonometric functions.

How does the floor function affect the range of a function?

The floor function can greatly affect the range of a function, as it "rounds down" any decimal or fractional values to the nearest integer. This means that the range of a function involving the floor function can be limited to only integer values, which can significantly change the shape and behavior of the function.

Are there any special cases when finding the range of a function involving the floor function?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when finding the range of a function involving the floor function. These include situations where the function has a discontinuity at the points where the floor function is applied, and situations where the function has a repeating pattern or symmetry that is affected by the floor function.