Range of a linear transformation to power n

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Lostmant
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



How to prove that: the range of a square matrix A (linear transformation) to the power of n+1 is a subspace of the Range of A to the power n, for all n >= 1?

i.e. Range (A^(n+1)) is a subspace of Range (A^n)

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I can prove that Kernal (A^n) is a subspace of Kernal (A^(n+1)). Not sure if this is the basis of the prove.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you jbunniii. Using the hint you gave me I could prove that Kernal (A^n) is a subspace of Kernal (A^(n+1)), because A^n(A(0)) = 0. but what about range? I think if i could prove the range of A is always a subspace of domain of A, then i am done. How to prove this? Thanks.
 
If y is in the range of [itex]A^{n+1}[/itex], then by definition,

[tex]y = A^{n+1}x[/tex]

for some x.

But

[tex]y = A^n(Ax)[/tex]

So what does that imply?