Range of natural log, some trigonometry

Wouldn't I have to expand the brackets to get this?I am getting slightly more confused with this, not to mention it looks very unsimplifiable. :)In summary, Real variables x and y are related by the equation 3ln(y +4) = 2ln(x +2) − 2ln(x +9)+3ln(x^2 − 1). To determine the range of values of x and y for which the expressions on each side of this equation are defined, the argument to each logarithm must be in the domain of the logarithm. This
Kawakaze

Homework Statement

(1)
Real variables x and y are related by the equation
3ln(y +4) = 2ln(x +2) − 2ln(x +9)+3ln(x^2 − 1).

Determine the range of values of x and y for which the expressions on each side of this equation are defined.

Find y explicitly as a function of x, that is, express the equation in the form y = f(x), simplifying your answer as far as possible.

(2)
Show that the expressions √3cos(5t + π/6) and (√3/2)(√3cos(5t) − sin(5t)) are equivalent.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

(1)
I assume y must be > -4 to make the ln of a real number. As for x I have no idea which one to use, do I have to expand them somehow? Or is it simply x^2 > 1 and x > -9 and x > -2 leaving us with the lowest x > -9

(2)
Uhm... no idea really, please give me a clue. Something tells me its substituting identities and simplification.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kawakaze! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
Kawakaze said:
(1) I assume y must be > -4 to make the ln of a real number. As for x … is it simply x^2 > 1 and x > -9 and x > -2

yes :smil:
leaving us with the lowest x > -9

nooooooo … :redface:
(2) Uhm... no idea really, please give me a clue. Something tells me its substituting identities and simplification.

hint: use standard trigonometric identities (and sinπ/6 = sin30° = 1/2) :wink:

Kawakaze said:
Or is it simply x^2 > 1 and x > -9 and x > -2
Right. To be well-defined, the argument to each logarithm must be in the domain of the logarithm. If anyone of them aren't, then the entire expression is undefined.

leaving us with the lowest x > -9
How exactly did you solve the system of three inequalities?

Thanks for the tips, I solved the trig question. I am making some progress with the others, hence the edit. I doubt I am out of the woods yet though =)

Last edited:
Hi again,

I can't do the inequality question to save my life. I also can't find how to do it on google. My best guess would be to equate it all to zero. giving -

x+2 - x+9 +x2-1 = 0

Which cancels to

x2 + 10 = 0

Giving x > [tex]\sqrt{10}[/tex]

I then have to rewrite y as a function of x. Would this be cube root both sides and rearrange? to give

f(x) = [tex]\stackrel{x^2 -1}{-7}[/tex] +4

Which looks incorrect =(

I don't understand. :confused: Are you talking about …
Kawakaze said:
(1)
Real variables x and y are related by the equation
3ln(y +4) = 2ln(x +2) − 2ln(x +9)+3ln(x^2 − 1).

If so, you can't add them, you have to multiply them, don't you? :redface:

Kawakaze said:
I can't do the inequality question to save my life.
Doesn't your textbook talk about solving inequalities? If not, drawing pictures really does help -- in fact, the solution method I thought would be standard is essentially just a picture of the number line with the solution sets drawn on it, and enough annotation to identify the edges of the solution sets (and if the edges are included).

The examples in the textbook are all as easy as hell, only one inquality to solve. Then they give a test and there are 3 in one equation.

Theres not one number line in my book. The examples it gives are simple ones like range of ln(x+3), so x must be more than -3. Theres not one example with more than one inequality and not one example with a variable to a power. A total crock really. Did I mention the book also arrived a month late and this assessment is due in a week. =) They won't give an extension either.

I have got the following out x > -2, x > -9, and x2 > 1

Now how to combine these, i have no idea. I would have said the range was x > -9 as this also includes the other inequalities.

Kawakaze said:
I have got the following out x > -2, x > -9, and x2 > 1

Now how to combine these, i have no idea. I would have said the range was x > -9 as this also includes the other inequalities.

What about x = 0 ? :redface:

What about it? :)

Oh wait, 02 is not greater than 1. Its x > 1 isn't it? *facepalm*

So how would this apply to arranging this as a f(x) expression? From what little I have read, solving the range of y and x should als answer this?

Kawakaze said:
Determine the range of values of x and y for which the expressions on each side of this equation are defined.
Kawakaze said:
So how would this apply to arranging this as a f(x) expression? From what little I have read, solving the range of y and x should als answer this?

The question doesn't ask for an "f(x) expression" …

just write something like "a < x ≤ b and c < x". :smile:

It does :P

Find y explicitly as a function of x, that is, express the equation in the form y = f(x), simplifying your answer as far as possible.

I was thinking of taking the cube root of both sides, but as my garbled equation above shows, that probably isn't the way to go.

Thanks for your help btw =)

oh I see.

ok, simplify it as far as you can first, and leave worrying about the range until later

(it's logs, so take e-to-the of both sides)

I took the exp of both sides to get

(y + 4)3 = (x + 2)2 - (x + 9)2 + (x2 - 1)3

I then took the cube root of this to get

y + 4 = [tex]\stackrel{x^2 - 1}{-7}[/tex]

So f(x) = [tex]\stackrel{x^2 - 1}{-7}[/tex] -4

But this doesn't look tidy enough to be correct

Kawakaze said:
(y + 4)3 = (x + 2)2 - (x + 9)2 + (x2 - 1)3

No!

You're not a natural logger, are you? :redface:

(y + 4)3 = (x + 2)2(x2 - 1)3/(x + 9)2

do you see why?

ok, now simplify that some more! :smile:

Hehe until the other day I had never really used them at all. I do not fully understand how you arrived at that. I thought multiplying you added the logs, to divide you subtract the logs. But I took the exp function, so the logs are gone, I thought i could handle the numbers as normal. Is what you did essentially go back a step, to what the equation was before the natural logs were taken? If so why would you use the exp function?

ok, let's go over it carefully :smile:

you had (ignoring the factors) lnA = lnB + lnC - lnD …

exp both sides and you get elnA = elnB + lnC - lnD

now the RHS is:

elnB times elnC times e-lnD

which you can now directly translate (btw, to answer your question, this is why we use the exp) as:

B times C times 1/D :wink:

ok, now try writing that out again, but with the factors (2 and 3) included this time :smile:

Eureka, I get it! Sneaky textbooks.

(y + 4)3 = ((x + 2)2 x (x2 - 1)3)/(x + 9)2

Ha simplify this

y = cube root ( ((x + 2)2 x (x2 - 1)3)/(x + 9)2 ) + 4

Sorry, latex is working against me :)

Kawakaze said:
Eureka, I get it! Sneaky textbooks.

(y + 4)3 = ((x + 2)2 x (x2 - 1)3)/(x + 9)2

Yup! :biggrin:
Ha simplify this

Sorry, latex is working against me :)

(Actually, I prefer not to use LaTeX)

No, it's minus 4, isn't it?

And you can still simplify that fraction. :wink:

Yes of course its minus 4, sorry I am a bit fried from the panic study.

hmmm

f(x) = ((x2 - 1)/(x+2)(x+9)5) - 4

Kawakaze said:

(still minus, btw :wink:)

come on, think! …

what is ( (x + 2)2(x2 - 1)3)(x + 9)-2)1/3 ?? :smile:

How about

(x + 2)2/3(x2 - 1)(x + 9)-2/3 - 4

The first term is easy enough, I assume a power of 3/3 cancels to a 1, and the power in the denominator is -2 x 1/3 giving -2/3

(just got up :zzz: …)
Kawakaze said:
How about

(x + 2)2/3(x2 - 1)(x + 9)-2/3 - 4

The first term is easy enough, I assume a power of 3/3 cancels to a 1, and the power in the denominator is -2 x 1/3 giving -2/3

Yes, that's exactly correct! :smile:

Though personally I'd write it …
(x2 - 1)(x + 2)2/3(x + 9)-2/3 - 4​
… because I think it looks neater! o:)

tiny-tim said:

Good morning Tim, I am also just awake, I was up till 4 am on the rest of the assessment!

Thanks so much for your help, it makes a lot more sense now :)

tiny-tim said:

Yes, that's exactly correct! :smile:

Though personally I'd write it …
(x2 - 1)(x + 2)2/3(x + 9)-2/3 - 4​
… because I think it looks neater! o:)

So this describes... what?

Please assuage my suspicions...

What is the range of the natural logarithm function?

The range of the natural logarithm function is all real numbers less than 0. This means that the output of the function can be any negative number, but it cannot be positive or equal to 0.

How is the natural logarithm function related to exponential functions?

The natural logarithm function is the inverse of the exponential function. This means that if we have an exponential function with base "e", the natural logarithm function will "undo" the exponential function and give us the original input value.

What is the domain of the natural logarithm function?

The domain of the natural logarithm function is all positive real numbers. This means that the input of the function must be a positive number, otherwise the function would be undefined.

How can the natural logarithm function be used in trigonometry?

The natural logarithm function is commonly used in calculating the complex numbers and exponential functions involved in trigonometric identities and equations. It can also be used to solve logarithmic equations involving trigonometric functions.

What is the relationship between the natural logarithm function and the unit circle?

The natural logarithm function is useful in finding the coordinates of points on the unit circle. By taking the natural logarithm of the trigonometric ratios (sine, cosine, tangent) of an angle, we can find the corresponding x and y coordinates on the unit circle.