Rank mismatch and incompatible ranks 1 and 2

• Fortran
  • Thread starter astroastro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    rank
In summary, there are two errors in the code provided. The first error is due to incompatible ranks in the assignment, possibly caused by a typo in the declaration of the array. The second error is due to a mismatch in array references, which may also be related to the typo in the array declaration. Correcting the typo by using a comma instead of a colon in the array declaration should resolve these errors.
astroastro
Hi I'm completely new in fortran programming and I just ran this code
program array_test
implicit none
integer, parameter :: row = 3, column = 4
integer :: i, j
integer, dimension(row: column) :: array2
open(1, file = "matrix.txt")
array2 = reshape((/1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12/),(/row,column/))
do i = 1, row
write(1, "(12i5)") (array2(i, j), j = 1, column)
enddo
end program

and I get these errors :
7 Incompatible ranks in 1 and 2 in assignment
9 ranks mismatch in array reference (2/1)
can u help me out?!

Technology news on Phys.org
It looks like you have a typo in the declaration of your array.

You have "dimension(row:column)" ...(notice the colon character ": ") this means that it is a one dimensional array where valid indeces will be from "row" to "column", inclusive.

What you probably meant to do was "dimension(row, column)"...(notice the comma) this means that it is a 2 dimensional array where the valid indeces for each dimension start in the default of 1 and go up to and including the number provided, "row" for the 1st dimension; "column" for the 2nd.

What is a rank mismatch?

A rank mismatch occurs when two or more variables or data sets have different levels of measurement or scales. This can lead to difficulties in analyzing the data accurately.

What are incompatible ranks 1 and 2?

Incompatible ranks 1 and 2 refer to two variables or data sets that have different levels of measurement, with rank 1 being a higher level of measurement than rank 2. This can cause issues in statistical analyses, as the data is not comparable on the same scale.

How can rank mismatch and incompatible ranks 1 and 2 affect research results?

Rank mismatch and incompatible ranks 1 and 2 can lead to inaccurate or misleading research results, as the data may not accurately reflect the relationship between the variables being studied.

What steps can be taken to avoid rank mismatch and incompatible ranks 1 and 2?

To avoid rank mismatch and incompatible ranks 1 and 2, it is important to carefully consider the levels of measurement of the data being used and ensure that they are compatible. If necessary, data can be transformed to make it more compatible before analysis.

Can rank mismatch and incompatible ranks 1 and 2 be corrected after analysis?

In some cases, it may be possible to correct for rank mismatch and incompatible ranks 1 and 2 after analysis by using appropriate statistical techniques. However, it is always best to avoid these issues in the first place by carefully selecting and preparing data for analysis.