Rankings as a metric for the competitiveness of admissions

In summary, the person is wondering about the correlation between a mathematics department's ranking and the difficulty of getting admitted into their PhD program. They have a 4.0 GPA, research experience, and a predicted good score on the subject GRE. They are considering applying to a safety school ranked in the high 40s and also to one top 10 and three top 25 schools. They are also considering emailing the graduate director to inquire about the typical stats of admitted students.
eok20
Hi, I was wondering how strong the correlation is (adjusting for size of program) between a mathematics departments ranking (e.g. from US News) and how hard it is to get admitted to the PhD program. I am asking because as of now my safety school is ranked in the high 40s and is fairly big (around 60 graduate students). Besides this one, I am applying to one top 10 and three top 25. It has been hard for me to find additional schools that I have a chance of getting into that are active in the area I'm interested in (mathematical physics/differential geometry). I have a 4.0 from a decent state university, a fair amount of research experience, and I'm guessing my subject GRE will be between 70-90 percentile. Can I bank on at least getting into my safety school? Would it be appropriate to e-mail the graduate director asking what the stats of a typical admitted student looks like?

Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a 4.0, some decent research experience and a pretty good GRE. Of course you have some pretty good chances of getting in. You'll probably get in at least some of your top 4 picks as well, depending on how many students they're taking this year and the likes.

Yeah, your record sounds spotless. It looks like the only thing that could weigh you down is the subject GRE, but even 80-90th percentile is very good. I think you should apply to as many top programs as you can afford.

What are rankings used for in the context of admissions?

Rankings are used as a metric to measure the competitiveness of admissions into a specific program or institution. They can provide a way to compare the quality, reputation, and selectivity of different schools or programs.

How are rankings calculated?

Rankings are typically calculated using a combination of factors such as acceptance rates, standardized test scores, student-faculty ratios, and retention rates. The specific methodology can vary depending on the ranking source.

Do rankings accurately reflect the competitiveness of admissions?

While rankings can provide a general idea of the competitiveness of admissions, they should not be the sole factor in making decisions about where to apply. Other important factors such as personal fit, location, and program offerings should also be considered.

Are higher ranked schools always better for admissions?

Not necessarily. Higher ranked schools may have more competitive admissions, but it's important to consider individual factors and fit. A lower ranked school may offer a better fit for a particular student's interests and goals.

Do rankings change over time?

Yes, rankings can change over time as the factors used to calculate them can change. It's important to regularly check for updated rankings and consider multiple sources when comparing schools or programs.