Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate constant and Kinetic model

1. Mar 13, 2014 #1
    Hi everyone,
    I have a question on the rate constant of a kinetic model(like the one we use in describing chemical reaction). Suppose we have the following model between two states A and B:
    A--(a)-->B
    A<--(b)--B
    where a, b are the rate constant for the transition. So the corresponding differential equation will be
    [itex]\frac{dA}{dt}=-aA+bB[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{dB}{dt}=-bB+aA[/itex]
    If now I add an intermediate state C, so that if we just measure the amount of A and B, the two models gives basically the same description (i.e. the overall rate constant from A to C then to B is equivalent to a and the same for reverse direction)
    A--(a1)-->C--(a2)-->B
    A<--(b1)--C<--(b2)--B

What is the functional relationship between the rate constant a1,a2 and a and similarly for b1, b2 and b? I am confused on how to find out the functional form. Is it just simply
    [itex]\frac{1}{a}=\frac{1}{a1}+\frac{1}{a2}[/itex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

There is no functional relationship. What this system gives you is
    [tex]
    \frac{dA}{dt} = -a_1A + b_1 C, \\
    \frac{dB}{dt} = -b_2 B + a_2 C, \\
    \frac{dC}{dt} = a_1 A + b_2 B - (a_2 + b_1) C.
    [/tex]

There is no way to eliminate [itex]C[/itex] from this system in order to end up with a system involving only [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex]. The complication comes from the fact that you also have [itex]A \to C \to A[/itex] and [itex]B \to C \to B[/itex], so not all [itex]A[/itex] turns to [itex]B[/itex] before turning back to [itex]A[/itex] and vice-versa.

4. Mar 13, 2014 #3
    Maybe I change my question, is there any 'effective' rate constant between A and B in the new system
    [tex]
    \frac{dA}{dt} = -a_1A + b_1 C, \\
    \frac{dB}{dt} = -b_2 B + a_2 C, \\
    \frac{dC}{dt} = a_1 A + b_2 B - (a_2 + b_1) C.
    [/tex] ?

5. Mar 13, 2014 #4
    If C is short-lived so that it is at quasi steady state, then

[tex]C=\frac{a_1 A + b_2 B}{(a_2 + b_1)}[/tex]

If we substitute this into the other differential equations, we get:

[tex]\frac{dA}{dt}=\frac{-a_1a_2A+b_1b_2B}{(a_2 + b_1)}=-a_3A+b_3B[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{dB}{dt}=\frac{a_1a_2A-b_1b_2B}{(a_2 + b_1)}=a_3A-b_3B[/tex]

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook