1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate of change, derivatives problem .

1. Nov 5, 2006 #1
    rate of change, derivatives problem.....

This table shows the rate of change canadians who are between 15 and 19 and who smoke...

[​IMG]

please answer the questions below it.. thanks in advance :surprised

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2006 #2
    if you want people to help, you are going to have to show what you have tried so far... have you tried graphing the data and using linear approximations?

4. Nov 5, 2006 #3
    i tried graphing it on a TI-84, and found the regression and its a cubic equation i think..

5. Nov 5, 2006 #4
    i mean if someone can possibly get me started or something i would appreciate it as i am unsure how to find the rate of change for male and female

6. Nov 5, 2006 #5
    with a table of data, the best you are going to do without using regression is to approximate linearly between any two points and use that as an approximation to the rate of change in that two year period. Doing that, you can answer the two questions given to you.

7. Nov 5, 2006 #6
    can u do 1 for me (like male) just to see what you mean.. then i should be able to do the female..

8. Nov 5, 2006 #7
    can anyoen guide me plz

9. Nov 6, 2006 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, state your problem correctly! That table is obviously not the "rate of change of Canadians who are between 15 and 19 and who smoke" it is the percentage of such Canadians who smoke. You need to calculate the rate of change yourself. Since the change in time is just one year you need only subtract each years percentage from the next years percentage. In what year do you get the same answer for both males and females? Is the final rate of change positive or negative?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?