Rate of Change in Proportional Equations - Understanding and Practicing the Rule

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
robertjford80
Messages
388
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



This actually part of the Friedman equation but it's the math part I'm having trouble with. I'm simplifying down to the nitty-gritty.

a'/a = x

a' = ax

a = e^x

And the lecturer said that when a rate of change is proportional to thing itself then you multiply the thing itself by exp. I don't recall learning about that rule. What is it's name so that I can go back and practice it.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
robertjford80 said:

Homework Statement



This actually part of the Friedman equation but it's the math part I'm having trouble with. I'm simplifying down to the nitty-gritty.

a'/a = x

a' = ax

a = e^x

And the lecturer said that when a rate of change is proportional to thing itself then you multiply the thing itself by exp. I don't recall learning about that rule. What is it's name so that I can go back and practice it.

If ##a## is a function of ##x## so that ##a' =\frac {da}{dx}##, the statement that the rate of change is proportional to itself means ##\frac {da}{dx} = ka##, where ##k## is a constant. That is not the type of equation you have written.

But when you do have ##\frac {da}{dx} = ka##, the solution is ##a = Ce^{kx}## for any constant ##C##, as you can verify by plugging it in.
 
but what's the name of this operation so that i can go back and look it up and practice it. the lecturer did have a constant written in the equation but I didn't write it for unknown reasons.
 
The operation being used is integration and I feel sure you have heard of that before!
[tex]a'= \frac{da}{dx}= ax[/tex]
so that, in terms of differentials,
[tex]\frac{da}{a}= xdx[/tex]

Now integrate both sides: [itex]ln(a)= (1/2)x^2+ C[/itex] so that [itex]a= e^{(1/2)x^2+ C}[/itex] or [itex]a(x)= C_1e^{(1/2)x^2}[/itex] where [itex]C_1= e^C[/itex].

That is NOT the result LCKurtz gave because, as he said, the equation he was looking at was not the one you posted. You said "the lecturer said that when a rate of change is proportional to thing itself then you multiply the thing itself by exp." which would be the case with a'= ka, which is what LCKurtz solved, NOT with your a'= xa, which is what I solved.

a'= da/dx= ka becomes da/a= k dx which, integrated, gives ln(a)= kx+ C so that [/itex]a= C'e^{kx}[/itex] as LCKurtz said.
 
Last edited by a moderator: