1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Rate of change of pressure with volume, adiabatic vs isothermal conditions

1. Aug 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For a particular sample of monatomic gas, the rate of change of pressure with volume under isothermal conditions is -2 x 10^7 Pa m^-3. Calculate the rate of change under adiabatic conditions.

2. Relevant equations
    isothermal:
    dP/dV = -2 x 10^7
    Q = nRTln(Vf/Vi)

monatomic:
    PV^(5/3) = constant

adiabatic:
    dU = dW

3. The attempt at a solution
    I feel like this question should be easy but I just don't even know how to approach it. I'd be extreme grateful if anybody could point me in the right direction. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2010 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1. What is dP/dV in terms of nRT and V for the isothermal process?

2. What is the relationship between P and V in an adiabatic (reversible) process? (hints: it does not involve T and you need to know that it is a monatomic gas).

3. Find dP/dV for the adiabatic process by differentiating the equation in 2.

4. Compare the answers in 1. and 3. using the value for dP/dV that is given for the isothermal process.

AM

4. Aug 13, 2010 #3
    Thanks for your help. This is what I have so far:

isothermal:
    PV = nRT
    => P = (nRT)/V
    => dP/dV = -(nRT)/(V^2)

dP/dV = -2 x 10^7

=> -(nRT)/(V^2) = -2 x 10^7

adiabatic:
    PV^(5/3) = k
    where k is some constant

P = k/(V^(5/3))

=> dP/dV = -(5/3)k/(V^(8/3))

I see that if I had values for n, T, and k I could work out the volume and use that to calculate a value for dP/dV in the adiabatic case -- but since I don't have those values and I'm not sure how to find them I'm afraid I'm still a little stuck.

5. Aug 14, 2010 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, you know that:

[tex]k = PV^\gamma[/tex]

and PV = nRT

and

[tex]nRT/V^2 = 2 \times 10^7[/tex]

AM

6. Aug 17, 2010 #5
    Thanks for all your help. I've got it now.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook