Rate of precession caused by mountain on spherical earth

In summary: The earth-plus-mountain object has no external torques applied to it. That's good news!You'll be able to use the Euler equations with no torques ("free precession").The only problem is that you don't know the value of RM.
student335

Homework Statement

32eeB6W.png

R = 4000mi
phi = 60
Me = 5.972E24 kg
Mm = 5.972E16 kg
distance of procession = 100 mi

Homework Equations

I know the answer is supposed to be ~1010 years.

I also know what I am trying to do is have that e3 axis be pointing straight up, then when the mountain is placed on it, it "tips" down. So when the Earth continues spinning it know creates that little cone shape above the north pole. It will travel around this cone shape at a constant angular velocity. So when I determine that angular velocity I just divide the 100 miles by that distance. My question is how to find that angular velocity. I tried a few things, but I'm hopelessly stuck.

The Attempt at a Solution

FecuLdZ.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to PF!

"Free precession" usually means precession in the absence of external torques. Are you sure you aren't supposed to treat the entire system (including the mountain) using equations for free precession.

The problem refers to section 10.8 of the text. Can you find any relevant information there? For example, have you covered Euler's equations of motion for a rotating rigid body?

It might help if you tell us what type and level of course this is from.

TSny said:
Hello and welcome to PF!

"Free precession" usually means precession in the absence of external torques. Are you sure you aren't supposed to treat the entire system (including the mountain) using equations for free precession.

The problem refers to section 10.8 of the text. Can you find any relevant information there? For example, have you covered Euler's equations of motion for a rotating rigid body?

It might help if you tell us what type and level of course this is from.

This is intermediate mechanics and yes we have "covered" up to section 10.8.

My professor just has us read the book and doesn't cover it in lecture, so I haven't gotten much help on this problem.

So I do understand Euler's equations, I just haven't read about them yet.I assume that the torque_1 and torque_2 values are zero and their respective change in angular velocity is also zero, so we only have to work with torque_3.

Torque_3 is calculated by R x F which is |R|F|sin(theta) which is RMgsin(theta)

Last edited:
The earth-plus-mountain object has no external torques applied to it. That's good news! You'll be able to use the Euler equations with no torques ("free precession").

1. What is the rate of precession caused by a mountain on a spherical earth?

The rate of precession caused by a mountain on a spherical earth is determined by various factors such as the size and shape of the mountain, the distance from the Earth's axis, and the rotation rate of the Earth. Generally, it is a very slow process and can range from a few seconds to several hours per year.

2. How does a mountain affect the rate of precession on a spherical earth?

A mountain can affect the rate of precession on a spherical earth by adding extra mass to the earth's surface, which can cause a slight shift in the Earth's axis of rotation. This shift can lead to a change in the rate of precession as the Earth's rotation tries to adjust to the added mass.

3. Is the rate of precession caused by a mountain on a spherical earth constant?

No, the rate of precession caused by a mountain on a spherical earth is not constant. It can vary depending on the location and size of the mountain, as well as other factors such as the Earth's rotation rate and the distribution of mass within the Earth.

4. Can the rate of precession caused by a mountain on a spherical earth be measured?

Yes, the rate of precession caused by a mountain on a spherical earth can be measured using various methods such as satellite data, ground-based measurements, and mathematical models. These measurements can help scientists understand the effects of mountains on the Earth's rotation and its overall dynamics.

5. What other factors besides mountains can affect the rate of precession on a spherical earth?

Besides mountains, other factors that can affect the rate of precession on a spherical earth include the Earth's shape, rotation rate, distribution of mass, and external forces such as tides and solar radiation. These factors can all contribute to the complex dynamics of the Earth's rotation and its precession over time.