1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate related problem with irregular cone and and time delay

1. Nov 10, 2011 #1
    A water glass (10 cm diameter at the top, 6 cm diameter at the bottom, 20 cm in height) is being filled at a rate of 50 cm^3/min. Find the rate of change of the height of the water after 5 seconds.

V=1/3(3.14) r^2h

I'm a little unsure how to approach this problem for two reasons. A) The glass is not a 'proper' cone shape(it has a 'flat' bottom of 6cm), in the problems I have been solving dealing with cones there has been only one radius to deal with. B) The problem is asking for the rate of change after a period of time. In most problems I have been asked to solve for some variable in the equation( ie ...find the rate of change after a certain height has been reached in the container)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2011 #2
    Update: So I've been looking at my rates of change according to height (at 1 cm, 2 cm, 3 cm ect) and I'd be able to solve it if the cone didn't have a 6 cm diameter. I am still unsure how to tackle this issue.

4. Nov 10, 2011 #3
    Update: Still a little unsure how to resolve the time issue of this problem however I believe I would use the formula V=1/3(3.14)(R^2H-r^2h) to solve for my irregular cone. Am I on the right track?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook