1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate water has to be added to Leaking cone

1. Jul 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Water is leaking out of an inverted conical tank at a rate of 6500 cm3/min at the same time that water is being pumped into the tank at a constant rate. The tank has height 6 m and the diameter at the top is 4 m. If the water level is rising at a rate of 20 cm/min when the height of the water is 2 m, find the rate at which water is being pumped into the tank.

2. Relevant equations

V=1/3 pi(r)^2*h

relationships:

4/2r=6/h
    therefore,
    r=1/3h

Substituting h for r:
    V=1/3 pi (1/3h)^2(h)
    V=pi/27(h)^3
    V'=dv/dt= pi/27 (3h)^2dh/dt
    dv/dt=pi/27 (3*200)^2(20)

since the cone is leaking we have to find:

dv/dt-6500=pi/27(3*200)^2(20)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2010 #2
    Others may want to confirm, but this looks good to me.

4. Jul 14, 2010 #3
    That answer is incorrect..that is why I posted it...I can't find the correct answer..I was just showing my work so someone could tell me where I went wrong...

Does anyone know??

I got it..I shouldn't have the parenthesis around the 3*200, since only the 200 is squared...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  5. Jul 14, 2010 #4
    Yes, that's right. Sorry I missed the error before. A tip for next time: if you know your answer is wrong, let us know and we (or at least I) will look more carefully for an error.

6. Jul 14, 2010 #5
    Thank you..and I will do that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook