Does the Ratio Test Confirm Divergence for This Series?

In summary, using the ratio test for the series ∑ n=1 to infinity of asubn, where asubn = [8^(n+4)] / [(8n^2 +7)(5^n)], we get a limit of 8/5 = 1.6, showing that the series diverges.
ani9890
Ratio Test, SUPER URGENT, help?

Consider the series
∑ n=1 to infinity of asubn, where asubn = [8^(n+4)] / [(8n^2 +7)(5^n)]
use the ratio test to decide whether the series converges. state what the limit is.

From the ratio test I got the limit n-> infinity of
[8^(n+1+4)] / [(8(n+1)^2 +7)(5^n+1)] / [8^(n+4)] / [(8n^2 +7)(5^n)]
= [8^n+5(8n^2 + 7)5^n] / (8(n+1)^2 +7)5^(n+1) (8^n+4)
=[8^n(8^5)(8n^2 + 7) 5^n] / (8n^2 + 16n + 15)(5^n)(5)(8^n)(8^4)

the lim n-> infinity of [262144n^2 +229376] / [163840n^2 + 327680n + 307200]
= 8/5
which is divergence. Is this correct?

Help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

ani9890 said:
Consider the series
∑ n=1 to infinity of asubn, where asubn = [8^(n+4)] / [(8n^2 +7)(5^n)]
use the ratio test to decide whether the series converges. state what the limit is.
Is this the series you're working with ?

[itex]\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{8^{n+4}}{(8n^2 +7)(5^n)}[/itex]
From the ratio test I got the limit n-> infinity of
[8^(n+1+4)] / [(8(n+1)^2 +7)(5^n+1)] / [8^(n+4)] / [(8n^2 +7)(5^n)]
= [8^n+5(8n^2 + 7)5^n] / (8(n+1)^2 +7)5^(n+1) (8^n+4)
=[8^n(8^5)(8n^2 + 7) 5^n] / (8n^2 + 16n + 8)(5^n)(5)(8^n)(8^4)

the lim n-> infinity of (32775) / 16n + 4109 = 0
which is absolute convergence. But that answer is wrong.

Help?
Are you saying your result is wrong because the series doesn't converge absolutely?

yes, that is the series I'm working with.

And actually, I've redone the problem and edited my work above.
Now I got a limit of 8/5 = 1.6 so the series diverges.
Is this correct (did I calculate the limit correct)?

ani9890 said:
yes, that is the series I'm working with.

And actually, I've redone the problem and edited my work above.
Now I got a limit of 8/5 = 1.6 so the series diverges.
Is this correct (did I calculate the limit correct)?

Yes, that would be correct.

1. What is the ratio test and how does it work?

The ratio test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. It involves taking the ratio of the absolute values of consecutive terms in a series and then taking the limit as the number of terms approaches infinity. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another method must be used.

2. How do I know when to use the ratio test?

The ratio test is most commonly used for series involving exponentials, factorials, or powers of x. It is also useful for series that have alternating signs or are in a fraction form. If you are unsure whether the ratio test is appropriate for a particular series, it is best to consult with a math instructor or reference guide.

3. Can the ratio test be used to determine the radius of convergence for a power series?

Yes, the ratio test can be used to find the radius of convergence for a power series. If the limit of the ratio test is less than 1, the radius of convergence is the distance from the center of the series to the first term where the limit is less than 1. If the limit is equal to 1, the radius of convergence is the distance to the nearest singularity. If the limit is greater than 1, the series has no convergence radius and diverges everywhere.

4. What is the SUPER test and how is it different from the ratio test?

The SUPER test is a modified version of the ratio test that can be used for series with complex terms. It involves taking the ratio of the absolute values of consecutive terms, but with the addition of an exponent that increases as the number of terms increases. If the limit of the SUPER test is less than 1, the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another method must be used.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using the ratio test?

While the ratio test is a useful tool for determining the convergence or divergence of a series, it does have some limitations. It can only be used for series that have positive terms, and it may not always give a definitive answer. In some cases, the limit of the ratio test may be equal to 1, making the test inconclusive and requiring the use of another method. Additionally, the ratio test can be time-consuming and may not be the most efficient method for certain series.