Minimum % of Registered Voters Needed to Sign Petition for City Ballot

In summary, the minimum percent of the total number of registered voters that must sign a petition for a candidate to be included on the ballot in a certain city is 7%. This is calculated by taking 12.5% of the three smallest districts, which are 16%, 20%, and 20%, and adding them together to get 56%, then finding 12.5% of 56%, which is equal to 7%.
kazuchan
In order to be included on the ballot in a certain city, a candidate must get at least 12.5% of the registered voters in each of three or more of the city's five districts to sign a petition. The ratio of the numbers of registered voters in the five districts is 6:5:5:4:5. In order for a candidate to be included on a ballet, what is the minimum percent of the total number of registered voters that must sign a petition?

The attempt at a solution
What I tried doing is since they are looking for the minimum percent of the total number of registered voters that must sign the petition, was to look at the smaller numbers in the ratio: 5:4:5 and only these three since they are the smallest and will provide the minimum. I then tried taking the 12.5% and find 12.5% of each ratio but this lead me to nothing.
I am confused on where to go next.
Can you please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, notice that you are given a "ratio" and asked for a "percent." At some point, you're going to have to convert, so let's do it now. Add the numbers in the ratio: 6+5+5+4+5 = 25. There are 25 units of people in the city. That is 100% of the population. Therefore, 1 population unit (ratio) = 4% of the total population. Now express the districts as percents of total population: 24%, 20%, 20%, 16%, 20%.

You were on the right track taking 12.5% of the three smallest districts:
12.5% * (16% + 20% + 20%)
12.5% * 56%
7%

Thank you for your help! I understand it now!

1. What is the minimum percentage of registered voters needed to sign a petition for a city ballot?

The minimum percentage of registered voters needed to sign a petition for a city ballot varies depending on the city or state. In some places, it may be as low as 5% while in others it may be up to 20%.

2. How is the minimum percentage of registered voters needed to sign a petition determined?

The minimum percentage of registered voters needed to sign a petition is typically determined by local laws and regulations. These laws may be influenced by factors such as the size of the city, the number of registered voters, and the type of election being petitioned for.

3. Can the minimum percentage of registered voters needed to sign a petition be changed?

Yes, the minimum percentage of registered voters needed to sign a petition can be changed through the proper legal channels. This may require a vote by the city council or a change in local laws.

4. Is the minimum percentage of registered voters needed to sign a petition the same for all types of elections?

No, the minimum percentage of registered voters needed to sign a petition may vary depending on the type of election being petitioned for. For example, the percentage may be different for a local city election compared to a state or national election.

5. How is the minimum percentage of registered voters needed to sign a petition enforced?

The enforcement of the minimum percentage of registered voters needed to sign a petition is typically the responsibility of local election officials. They may verify the signatures on the petition and ensure that the minimum percentage requirement has been met before allowing the issue to be placed on the ballot.