Rationalize the denominator: ##\sqrt{\dfrac{1}{2x^3y^5}}##

RChristenk
Homework Statement
Rationalize the denominator: ##\sqrt{\dfrac{1}{2x^3y^5}}##
Relevant Equations
Operations involving radicals
##\sqrt{\dfrac{1}{2x^3y^5}}=\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2\cdot x^2 \cdot x \cdot y^2 \cdot y^2 \cdot y}}=\dfrac{1}{|x|\cdot |y|\cdot |y| \cdot \sqrt{2xy}}=\dfrac{1}{|x|y^2\sqrt{2xy}}##

##\Rightarrow \dfrac{1}{|x|y^2\sqrt{2xy}} \cdot \dfrac{\sqrt{2xy}}{\sqrt{2xy}}=\dfrac{\sqrt{2xy}}{|x|y^2 \cdot 2xy}=\dfrac{\sqrt{2xy}}{2|x|xy^3}##

But the solution is given as ##\sqrt{\dfrac{1}{2x^3y^5}}=\dfrac{1}{xy^2\sqrt{2xy}}\cdot \dfrac{\sqrt{2xy}}{\sqrt{2xy}}=\dfrac{\sqrt{2xy}}{2x^2y^3}## without any consideration for the absolute value. But the definition is ##\sqrt{x^2}=|x|##, so I'm not understanding why the book solution ignores this.

Physics news on Phys.org
The original expression is positive, so there is no way to end up with negative values. If so, then it should be ##|y^3|##.

Likes FactChecker
RChristenk said:
I'm not understanding why the book solution ignores this.
Are there assumptions in the problem that you don't show? IOW, are the variables x and y assumed to be nonnegative?

Mark44 said:
Are there assumptions in the problem that you don't show? IOW, are the variables x and y assumed to be nonnegative?
Nope. But if ##x,y## can be negative, would this be correct: ##\dfrac{1}{|x||y^2|\sqrt{2xy}}\cdot \dfrac{\sqrt{2xy}}{\sqrt{2xy}}=\dfrac{\sqrt{2xy}}{2x|x||y^2|y}##.

Is there a way to simplify ##2x|x||y^2|y##?

Last edited:
RChristenk said:
Nope. But if ##x,y## can be negative, would this be correct: ##\dfrac{1}{|x||y^2|\sqrt{2xy}}\cdot \dfrac{\sqrt{2xy}}{\sqrt{2xy}}=\dfrac{\sqrt{2xy}}{2x|x||y^2|y}##.
No, because your final answer would be negative if exactly one of x or y were negative. The original fraction is always positive.
RChristenk said:
Is there a way to simplify ##2x|x||y^2|y##?
That denominator should be ##2 x^2 |y^3|##, which is always positive.

Likes SammyS
FactChecker said:
No, because your final answer would be negative if exactly one of x or y were negative. The original fraction is always positive.

That denominator should be ##2 x^2 |y^3|##, which is always positive.
Why is the original fraction always positive? I'm confused because by definition ##\sqrt{x^2}=|x|##. So ##x## itself could be a negative number.

Hence in ##\sqrt{\dfrac{1}{2x^3y^5}}##, ##x,y## could be negative and since it's to the third and fifth power respectively, stay negative. Thanks.

RChristenk said:
Why is the original fraction always positive? I'm confused because by definition ##\sqrt{x^2}=|x|##. So ##x## itself could be a negative number.

Hence in ##\sqrt{\dfrac{1}{2x^3y^5}}##, ##x,y## could be negative and since it's to the third and fifth power respectively, stay negative. Thanks.
I'm sorry. I misstated. ##\sqrt {\frac {1}{2x^3y^5}}## should always be positive, when it is defined. (I am assuming that your class does not deal with complex roots of negative numbers.) That is how the ##\sqrt {\ \ \ }## symbol is defined.

Likes RChristenk