1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ratios of Initial to Final Energy/Momentum/Velocity

1. Nov 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A rotating star collapses under the influence of gravitational forces to form a pulsar. The radius of the star after collapse is 4.00 10-4 times the radius before collapse. There is no change in mass. In both cases the mass of the star is uniformly distributed in a spherical shape.
    (a) What is the ratio of the angular momentum of the star after collapse to before collapse?

(b) What is the ratio of the angular velocity of the star after collapse to before collapse?

(c) What is the ratio of the rotational kinetic energy of the star after collapse to before collapse?

(d) If the period of the star's rotation before collapse is 5.00 107 s, what is its period after collapse?
    ____ s

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am having trouble imputing this into my online homework. Could you give me an example as to how I could put this into my online homework??

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have no idea how to put this into your online homework. You might start by filling in some blanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?