Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rattling shaft in electromagnet

1. Feb 23, 2013 #1
    Hi to all, i'm new to the forum and forgive me if i'm not in the right place.
    I have a drag knife sign making cutter which uses an electromagnet to drop and raise the knife. The shaft that runs through the coil rattles/vibrates and although the machine cuts ok it drives me mad. Obviously the shaft needs to be free within the coil but is there a way of stopping the rattle - grease maybe?
    Thanks in advance.
    Al

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2013 #2
    Try grease or a sideways force via a padded spring

4. Feb 24, 2013 #3
    If you have access to the Armature ( the part in the solenoid that moves) - Try wrapping it in parchment paper - to fill in the gap between it and the coil.

5. Feb 24, 2013 #4
    Thanks for the replies, i can get to the armature but do you think grease or parchment paper affect the performance of the solenoid? Al

6. Feb 25, 2013 #5
    It is likely anything you do can affect the performance - I am not a big fan of grease as it collects dirt. The parchment paper can just be removed if there is a problem.

7. Feb 25, 2013 #6

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Is this 'rattle' a buzz at line frequency?
    if so, look for something that prevents the last few thousandths of an inch armature travel. A small air gap will cause high current and buzzing in an AC solenoid.

Disregard it it's a DC solenoid,.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook