Rayleigh Scattering: Modeling Light Intensity in Fluids

In summary, the conversation is about a computer programmer seeking help with an algorithm to model the intensity of monochromatic light at a distance from a source, taking into account the fluid between the source and detector that scatters the light. The programmer is looking for guidance on the composition, density, and volume of the fluid, as well as the wavelength and intensity of the light source, in order to create a graph of light intensity over distance. Additional resources on Rayleigh-Gans scattering are suggested for further understanding.
stxetx
Howdy,

I'm a computer programmer by trade, but I've got a project I'm working on for fun and could use some help with some of the physics details.

I'm trying to get an algorithm that models the intensity 'I' of a monochromatic light at some distance 'd' from the source where there is a fluid between the detector and source that scatters the light. As I understand light scattering, the resonant frequency of the molecules (or is it size?) that make up the fluid will determine the proportion of light scattered and thereby the intensity at the detector. So I need help deriving a formula that takes into account the fluid (composition, density, and volume), and the wavelength and intensity of the source light, and models the intensity of the non-scattered light at the detector.

I could just start building test rigs and doing experiments, but I'd really like some numbers to guide the experimentation. I'm trying to figure out what combination of light colors (probably going to be either red, green, blue, or white LED's), fluid (water? Oil? __?) and volume is going to give me the best combination of compact size and delta I over the variable distance the light will be from the sensor.

Ultimately, I'm trying to get a graph of the light intensity over distance given a constant source light wavelength/intensity and fluid such that if I know the intensity, I can calculate the distance.

I hope that all made sense... I would really appreciate any help you all could give. Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
If you don't get any hits here, try the Quantum Physics forum. :smile:

1. What is Rayleigh Scattering and how does it work?

Rayleigh Scattering is a process in which light is scattered by particles in the atmosphere, such as dust or gas molecules. It occurs when the size of the particles is much smaller than the wavelength of the light. The scattered light is polarized and its intensity is proportional to the fourth power of the frequency of the light.

2. What is the significance of Rayleigh Scattering in the study of Earth's atmosphere?

Rayleigh Scattering is important because it is responsible for the blue color of the sky as well as the reddening of the sun during sunrise and sunset. It also helps to regulate the temperature of the Earth's atmosphere by scattering sunlight, which contributes to the greenhouse effect.

3. How does Rayleigh Scattering affect the colors we see in the sky?

Rayleigh Scattering is responsible for the blue color of the sky because particles in the atmosphere scatter blue light more than other colors. This is why the sky appears blue to us. During sunrise and sunset, the longer path of sunlight through the atmosphere causes more scattering, resulting in the reddish-orange color we see.

4. Can Rayleigh Scattering be observed in other regions of the electromagnetic spectrum?

Yes, Rayleigh Scattering can occur in other regions of the electromagnetic spectrum, such as in the ultraviolet and infrared wavelengths. However, it is most noticeable in the visible spectrum due to our eyes being most sensitive to these wavelengths.

5. How does Rayleigh Scattering differ from other types of light scattering?

Rayleigh Scattering differs from other types of light scattering, such as Mie Scattering, in that it is highly dependent on the size of the particles and the frequency of the light. It also scatters light in a preferential direction, resulting in polarized light. Mie Scattering, on the other hand, is not as dependent on particle size and scatters light in all directions equally.