[rcl circuits] is this a contradiction?

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of inductors and capacitors in a circuit during the transient and steady state phases. It is explained that at t<0, an inductor acts as a short circuit and a capacitor acts as an open circuit. However, at t=0+, the circuit goes through a transient phase where the behavior of the inductor and capacitor changes. Eventually, the circuit reaches steady state where the inductor once again acts as a short circuit and the capacitor as an open circuit. The reason for this behavior is due to the voltage and current in an inductor and how it changes over time.
Vishera
Problem:
upload_2014-9-20_13-52-45.png

Attempt:
Ud54l8w.jpg

But here is what happens when I apply nodal analysis to the same node at t>0:
GH3utpO.jpg

Is this a contradiction? Is the voltage of the resistor at t=0+ equal to 16V or 0V?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I figured it out. At ##t=0^-##, the capacitors are replaced with open circuits and the inductors are replaced with wires but this does not apply at ##t=0^+##.

When t<0, an inductor acts as a short circuit and a capacitor acts as an open circuit. At the instant t=0+, the circuit goes through a transient phase. Once t>>0, the circuit becomes steady state and once again the inductor acts as a short and the capacitor as an open.

Likes Vishera
iRaid said:
When t<0, an inductor acts as a short circuit and a capacitor acts as an open circuit. At the instant t=0+, the circuit goes through a transient phase. Once t>>0, the circuit becomes steady state and once again the inductor acts as a short and the capacitor as an open.

Thank you for this. Argh, I wish my textbook explained this to me. Why does the inductor and capacitor act as closed/open circuits in the steady state but not in the transient phase?

Vishera said:
Thank you for this. Argh, I wish my textbook explained this to me. Why does the inductor and capacitor act as closed/open circuits in the steady state but not in the transient phase?

Basically an inductor goes from some high voltage to 0, which would cause all the current to flow through it (which is a short) when time goes to infinity. I'm not sure if you've seen the graphs of these, but that should help you, so I'd say look it up.

1. Is it possible for an RCL circuit to have both resistance and capacitance?

Yes, it is possible for an RCL circuit to have both resistance and capacitance. In fact, most practical circuits contain elements of resistance, capacitance, and inductance.

2. How can a circuit have both resistance and inductance at the same time?

In an RCL circuit, the resistance is due to the energy lost in the form of heat, while inductance is due to the energy stored in the form of a magnetic field. These two elements can coexist in a circuit without contradicting each other.

3. Can capacitance and inductance cancel each other out in an RCL circuit?

No, capacitance and inductance cannot cancel each other out in an RCL circuit. They are two distinct elements that contribute to the overall behavior of the circuit. However, in some cases, they may have equal and opposite effects on the overall impedance of the circuit, resulting in a net impedance of zero.

4. How does resistance affect the behavior of an RCL circuit?

Resistance limits the flow of current in a circuit, causing energy to be dissipated in the form of heat. In an RCL circuit, resistance can affect the overall impedance and the resonant frequency of the circuit.

5. Is an RCL circuit considered a contradiction because it contains both reactive and dissipative elements?

No, an RCL circuit is not a contradiction. It is a term used to describe a circuit that contains resistance, capacitance, and inductance, all of which play important roles in the behavior of the circuit. While resistance is considered a dissipative element, capacitance and inductance are reactive elements that store and release energy in different forms.