Can this circuit be simplified any further?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter cazuccmuss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying a circuit by using equivalent resistances in parallel and series, as well as using Kirchhoff's voltage law to equalize voltage. The poster also mentions the use of Thevenin's equivalent to further simplify the circuit.
cazuccmuss
Homework Statement
I was asked to simplify a circuit as much as possible and have gotten it down this far. The voltage source attached in parallel is kind of messing up any further simplification with my current knowledge. Can Kirchhoff's voltage law be used to just take it out or is it more complicated than that? Also, apologies for the poor handwriting in the picture
Relevant Equations
∑𝑉𝑘=0?
I have simplified it at first by giving and equivalent resistance to resistors in parallel on the right and also equivalent in series resistance at the start. Would 16v-7v be the correct way of equalizing the voltage by using Kirchhoff's voltage law?

Attachments

• 20190510_230333.jpg
    20190510_230333.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 239
Physics news on Phys.org
cazuccmuss said:
Would 16v-7v be the correct way of equalizing the voltage by using Kirchhoff's voltage law?
What do you mean by "equalizing the voltage?" Equalizing it WHERE?

The circuit you have drawn cannot be simplified any further (except that if you were asked to simplify it further relative to two nodes then you could do a Thevenin's equivalent).

Likes cazuccmuss
Thanks! Thought it wasnt possible to get rid of that parallel voltage but I figured that I might as well ask just in case I was forgetting something simple.

1. What is the purpose of simplifying a circuit?

Simplifying a circuit can reduce its complexity and make it easier to understand and troubleshoot. It can also help to make the circuit more efficient and save space and resources.

2. How do you determine if a circuit can be simplified further?

To determine if a circuit can be simplified further, you can use techniques such as combining parallel or series components, applying Ohm's law, and simplifying complex circuits using Kirchhoff's laws.

3. What are some common techniques for simplifying a circuit?

Some common techniques for simplifying a circuit include using equivalent resistors, applying voltage and current division, and using Thevenin's and Norton's theorems.

4. Are there any risks involved in simplifying a circuit?

Yes, there are risks involved in simplifying a circuit. Simplifying a circuit without proper knowledge and understanding can result in errors and malfunctions. It is important to carefully analyze and plan the simplification process before making any changes to the circuit.

5. Can a circuit always be simplified further?

No, a circuit cannot always be simplified further. Some circuits are already in their simplest form and cannot be further reduced without changing their functionality. It is important to carefully consider the purpose and function of the circuit before attempting to simplify it.